- We locally scan all docs to you in real time.
- Your instant account has every state form you could file; pre-populated with our info.
- Our filing instructions and tips allow you to pay states direct; no markups.
- don't hook you with a lower price only to later upsell you.
- include compliance service tools.
- will actually be your registered agent.
How to change your resident agent in Maryland
Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation change of resident agent requirements and options
What are the options and different ways you can change your Maryland resident agent?
Maryland calls the registered agent for a business entity a “resident agent.” The two terms mean the same thing. Although Maryland corporations and LLCs have slightly different statutory requirements to change the resident agent, the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT) provides one form that works for all entities. A Maryland corporation or LLC can also change its Maryland resident agent when it files articles of amendment. The new resident agent has to consent to the appointment by signing the change of agent or amendment form. Maryland SDAT allows you to mail, fax or drop off documents for filing.
If you fax file, your processing will be expedited and your card will be charged for the fee. We actually recommend faxing though, because it is fast and easy. Faxed forms require your Visa or MasterCard information on the Expedited Request by Fax Cover Sheet.
You can file your documents in person for same day processing in line at the Maryland SDAT counter by 4:15 and pay the expedite fee. If you drop off documents you can pay with check, cash, or money order.
If you mail documents to the Maryland SDAT, you need to include a check for fees.
All checks should be payable to the State Department of Assessments and Taxation.
How much does it cost to change your resident agent in Maryland?
The filing fee to change the Maryland resident agent for a corporation or LLC is $25.
There is an additional $50 fee for expedited processing.
Don’t want to pay the change of agent fee? Switch your resident agent to Northwest, and we’ll pay the change of agent fee to switch to us! Just sign up for resident agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of resident agent in Maryland?
Normal processing takes the SDAT at least 8 weeks. When you include mail time, don’t be surprised if it is 10 weeks or more before you receive your confirmation.
Expedited processing is completed within 7 business days.
Mailed documents are processed normally, unless you request expedited service and pay the fee. If you wish to expedite processing of mailed documents write “EXPEDITED SERVICE REQUESTED” on a cover letter and the envelope.
Walked in documents are expedited automatically you have to pay the expedite fee. Submit your documents in person and the SDAT will process them the same day.
Faxed documents are also automatically expedited, so the Maryland SDAT will charge the additional fee to the Visa or MasterCard you pay with.
Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation contact information:
Submit the form by mail, fax or in person to:
Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation
301 West Preston Street
Baltimore, MD 21201-2395
Fax file: 410-333-7097
What form do you file to change your resident agent in Maryland?
You can draft your own statement or resolution, or you can just submit the Change Resident Agent form to the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation. The signed form is in your online account immediately, when you sign up for Maryland resident agent service with Northwest.
Maryland SDAT – Forms:
Registered Agent Maryland Service Includes:
- If you are going to make a filing with the Maryland SDAT, it will take 7-8 weeks for normal processing time. You can expedite the process by paying $50 and they will file it within 7 days. You can mail your filings in or you can fax file your filing. If you fax file, you have to pay the $50 expedite fee. Filings do not need an original inked signature.
- Make sure to send in your filing in duplicate, even if you fax file.
- You will receive a confirmation letter to the address you list as your mailing address. You can pay an extra $5 to have the original filing returned to you with the confirmation letter. It is quicker to just look your business name up on their online database system. When paying the $5, that still won’t get the actual filing back to you soon. They will not process that quickly.
- Annual reports get mailed to your principal address in January or February of every year, and are due on April 15th. All annual reports cost $300. The Maryland annual reports are more like a personal property tax return. They are by far the worst report that any state has. Basically, they just want your money and most people fall in the minimum payment category.
- Certificates of good standing cost $20 and can be ordered online.
- To change your Maryland resident agent, it costs $25. You file a change of Maryland resident agent form, which is pre-signed and in your online account immediately after you sign up for service with us.