How to change your registered agent in Texas
- We locally scan all docs to you in real time.
- Your instant account has every state form you could file; pre-populated with our info.
- Our filing instructions and tips allow you to pay states direct; no markups.
Cheaper Sites Exist
True, but we
- don’t hook you with a lower price only to later upsell you.
- include compliance service tools.
- will actually be your registered agent.
TEXAS SECRETARY OF STATE CHANGE OF REGISTERED AGENT REQUIREMENTS AND OPTIONS
What are the options and different ways you can change your Texas registered agent?
There are a couple options. You can change your registered agent in a Certificate of Amendment but it is very expensive. All you really need to do is provide in duplicate along with the filing fee, the completed Form 401, Change of Registered Agent/Office, to the Texas Secretary of State, by mail, fax, in person or at SOSDirect Online for $1. If submitting by fax, accompany the fax with (Form 807) with your credit card information. The registered agent does not sign the form. Texas does not require original signatures.
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Texas?
There is a $15 filing fee to change your registered agent in Texas. Texas has one universal form for changing registered agent where you select your type of entity at the top of the form. If you are a nonprofit corporation or a cooperative association, the filing fee is $5.
Don’t want to pay the change of agent fee? Switch your registered agent to Northwest, and we’ll pay the change of agent fee to switch to us! Just sign up for registered agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Texas?
Normal Processing: 3-5 working days. The state will return your file-stamped duplicate copy. Texas offers expedited processing for an additional fee of $25 per document that is accompanied by a cover letter specifically requesting expedited processing and a day time phone number. Your filing will be processed by the close of business the following day.
If you want to view your filed documents on Texas Secretary of State Website, you must log on to SOSDirect Online Searching and Filing. There is a $1 fee every time you log on. Stays logged on all day though and do as many searches and filings as you want. Set up your online Texas account with this link: https://direct.sos.state.tx.us/acct/acct-subscribe.asp.
Texas Department of State contact information:
Texas Secretary of State
Mailing: Corporations Section, PO BOX 13697, Austin, TX 78711-3697
Physical: James Earl Rudder Office Building, 1019 Brazos, Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 463-5555
Fax: (512) 463-5709
What form do you file to change your registered agent in Texas?
Form 401, Change of Registered Agent/Office is in your online account immediately, if you sign up for Texas registered agent service with Northwest.
To learn more about registered agents, visit our What is a Registered Agent? page.
Registered Agent Texas Service Includes:
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Texas forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Texas.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We’ll send multiple franchise tax report reminders, and you can track Texas due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.