LLC in New York
How to form an LLC in New York:
You form New York LLCs by filing articles of organization with the NY SOS.
What is required to file New York LLC Articles of Organization?
To form a New York LLC, you file New York LLC articles of organization. The New York articles of organization cost $200 to the New York Department of State. These LLC articles can be basic or complicated. We custom draft your New York LLC articles of organization when you hire Northwest to do your New York LLC registration, but if you'd like to save some money, you could just hire us as your NY registered agent, and then we supply you all the correct forms to file and filing instructions in your online account immediately. The basic requirements are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New York LLCs name must be different than already registered New York companies.
- The NY county where the office is located.
- The New York registered agent and the physical address. We have an address in Albany County so you can avoid paying high NY LLC publication fees.
- The names and signature of the LLC organizer.
- Name, address and phone number of the person that prepared the form.
New York does not require original signatures on filings. The New York LLC paperwork will be mailed to the person who made the filing.
What's the actual process to start a New York LLC?
- New York LLC registration is started when you file the articles of organization for a New York LLC with the Department of State.
- You obtain a federal tax ID number with the IRS after you have confirmation from New York that the LLC is completely filed.
- You should be able to open a LLC banking account with the filed articles and tax ID number.
- Publish in a New York newspaper - The New York Publication process can be a confusing and daunting task. We have a template you can use and we also have listed different newspapers that we have found to be the cheapest to publish with. After you publish, the papers will mail you proof of publication. Send your proof of publication, publication affidavit, and $50 filing fee to the NY Department of State. The basic process is :
- You hire two different newspapers to publish your notice.
- They mail you proof of publication.
- Mail the proof of publication, the affidavit, and the $50 fee to the New York Department of State… Long process that small to medium sized LLCs suffer through because of the need to regulate Wall Street.
- You register your New York LLC with the NY Department of Taxation or NY Department of Labor if you're going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax.
- You obtain a trade license, if you actually need one. (Most businesses don't.)
- You obtain a local city or county general license, if you need one.
- You obtain a local trade license, if the city or county you're going to be working in requires it.
- If you're going to have an office or shop, you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to form a New York limited liability company yourself, you can just hire us as your New York registered agent, and you'll instantly have the New York LLC forms to file and filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to file a New York LLCs. You'll get the ongoing support of our online tools, compliance reminders and the support of a professional New York LLC agent service.
Northwest Registered Agent, LLC.
Albany, NY 12207