How to form an LLC in South Dakota:
You form South Dakota LLCs by filing articles of organization with the SD SOS.
What is required to file South Dakota LLC Articles of Organization?
To form a South Dakota LLC, you file South Dakota LLC articles of organization. The South Dakota articles of organization cost $150 to the South Dakota Secretary of State. These LLC articles can be basic or complicated. We custom draft your South Dakota LLC articles of organization when you hire Northwest to do your South Dakota LLC registration, but if you'd like to save some money, you could just hire us as your SD registered agent, and then we supply you all the correct forms to file and filing instructions in your online account immediately. The basic requirements are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New South Dakota LLCs name must be different than already registered South Dakota companies.
- Duration of the South Dakota LLC, if not perpetual.
- The South Dakota registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and signature of the organizer(s).
- If the limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you will list their names and addresses.
South Dakota does not require original signatures on filings. The registered South Dakota LLC paperwork will be mailed to the person who made the filing.
What's the actual process to start a South Dakota LLC?
- South Dakota LLC registration is started when you file the articles of organization for a South Dakota LLC with the Secretary of State.
- You obtain a federal tax ID number with the IRS after you have confirmation from South Dakota that the LLC is completely filed.
- You should be able to open a LLC banking account with these two items.
- You register your South Dakota LLC with the department of revenue or labor if you're going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax.
- You obtain a trade license, if you actually need one. (Most businesses don't.)
- You obtain a local city or county general license, if you need one.
- You obtain a local trade license, if the city or county you're going to be working in requires it.
- If you're going to have an office or shop, you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to form a South Dakota limited liability company yourself, you can just hire us as your South Dakota registered agent, and you'll instantly have the South Dakota LLC forms to file and filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to file a South Dakota LLCs. You'll get the ongoing support of our online tools, compliance reminders and the support of a professional South Dakota LLC agent service.
Northwest Registered Agent, LLC.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104