How to form an LLC in Tennessee:
You form Tennessee LLCs by filing articles of organization with the TN SOS.
What is required to file Tennessee LLC Articles of Organization?
To form a Tennessee LLC, you file Tennessee LLC articles of organization. The Tennessee articles of organization cost $300 to the Tennessee Secretary of State. These LLC articles can be basic or complicated. We custom draft your Tennessee LLC articles of organization when you hire Northwest to do your Tennessee LLC registration, but if you'd like to save some money, you could just hire us as your TN registered agent, and then we supply you all the correct forms to file and filing instructions in your online account immediately. The basic requirements are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New Tennessee LLCs name must be different than already registered Tennessee companies.
- Duration of the Tennessee LLC if not perpetual.
- The purpose of the Tennessee limited liability company.
- The Tennessee registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the organizer.
- The LLCs principal office address.
- If the limited liability company is to be managed by members or managers.
- The number of Tennessee LLC members.
- The Tennessee organizer must sign.
- The effective date of the LLC articles of organization
Tennessee does not require original signatures on filings. The registered Tennessee LLC paperwork will be mailed to the person who made the filing. If you file online, you can see all the filed documents immediately.
What's the actual process to start a Tennessee LLC?
- Tennessee LLC registration is started when you file the articles of organization for a Tennessee LLC with the Secretary of State.
- You obtain a federal tax ID number with the IRS after you have confirmation from Tennessee that the LLC is completely filed.
- You should be able to open a LLC banking account with these two items.
- You register your Tennessee LLC with the department of revenue or labor if you're going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax.
- You obtain a trade license, if you actually need one. (Most businesses don't.)
- You obtain a local city or county general license, if you need one.
- You obtain a local trade license, if the city or county you're going to be working in requires it.
- If you're going to have an office or shop, you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to form a Tennessee limited liability company yourself, you can just hire us as your Tennessee registered agent, and you'll instantly have the Tennessee LLC forms to file and filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to file a Tennessee LLCs. You'll get the ongoing support of our online tools, compliance reminders and the support of a professional Tennessee LLC agent service.