How to form an LLC in Virginia:
You form Virginia LLCs by filing articles of organization with the Virginia State Corporation Commission.
What is required to file Virginia LLC Articles of Organization?
To form a Virginia LLC, you file Virginia LLC articles of organization. The Virginia articles of organization cost $100 to the Virginia State Corporation Commission. These LLC articles can be basic or complicated. We custom draft your Virginia LLC articles of organization when you hire Northwest to do your Virginia LLC registration, but if you'd like to save some money, you could just hire us as your VA registered agent, and then we supply you all the correct forms to file and filing instructions in your online account immediately. The basic Virginia LLC requirements are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it.
- New Virginia LLCs name must be different than already registered Virginia companies.
- The principal office address of the Virginia limited liability company.
- The Virginia registered agent office address.
- The name and signature of the organizer.
Virginia does not require original signatures on filings.
What's the actual process to start a Virginia LLC?
- Virginia LLC registration is started when you file the articles of organization for a Virginia LLC with the State Corporation Commission.
- You obtain a federal tax ID number with the IRS after you have confirmation from Virginia that the LLC is completely filed.
- You should be able to open a LLC banking account with these two items.
- You register your Virginia LLC with the department of revenue or labor if you're going to have employees or need to withhold sales tax.
- You obtain a trade license, if you actually need one. (Most businesses don't.)
- You obtain a local city or county general license, if you need one.
- You obtain a local trade license, if the city or county you're going to be working in requires it.
- If you're going to have an office or shop, you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to form a Virginia limited liability company yourself, you can just hire us as your Virginia registered agent, and you'll instantly have the Virginia LLC forms to file and filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to file a Virginia LLCs. You'll get the ongoing support of our online tools, compliance reminders and the support of a professional Virginia LLC agent service.