Maine Registered Agent
REAL TIME SERVICE
Instantly talk to our Corporate Guides™ or use your online account where you’ll find:
- Docs we get for you
- Maine business forms to file
- Maine filing tips
- ME company management system
With Northwest Registered Agent, what you see is what you get. We offer:
- Same price every year
- No extra fees
- No up-sells
- WE will be your registered agent
Commercial Clerk Service in Maine
What is a Maine Registered Agent/Commercial Clerk?
A Maine registered agent is any resident or business that maintains a registered office (physical location) in Maine and is willing to accept service of process (notice of a lawsuit) and official mail on the behalf of a business. Once the registered agent has accepted the legal notice on behalf of a Maine company, it is their responsibility to forward the notice to the responsible parties (the business owners). Maine registered agents create a reliable way to contact any business in Maine.
Why you need a registered agent in Maine:
- Maine requires that all registered businesses appoint a registered agent.
- Your business registration filing will be rejected by the Maine Division of Corporations if you do not appoint a registered agent.
- Essentially, the Maine registered agent requirement exists so the government and general public have a dependable method in place to contact your business.
Note: Maine uses the terms registered agent and commercial clerk interchangeably. A commercial clerk in Maine is the same thing as a registered agent.
What do Maine registered agents do?
Under Maine statute (Chapter 6-A: Model Registered Agents Act, §114), registered agents are responsible for the following duties:
- Receiving documents on behalf of your business.
- Providing notices to your business when it receives service of process or official mail.
- Be available during normal business hours at a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in-state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office. Our office is in Portland, ME.
- Keeping its registered office and contact information updated so your business can be reliably contacted.
Maine registered agent requirements:
The Maine Model Registered Agents Act requires agents to:
- Be a Maine resident or a company that provides registered agent/commercial clerk services.
- Maintain a registered office (a physical address in Maine).
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
Info your registered agent should help you know and understand:
- Incorporate a domestic Maine corporation: $145 state filing fee. You need to appoint a commercial Maine clerk (same thing as a registered agent).
- Organize a domestic Maine LLC: $175 state filing fee. On the Maine certificate of formation you will list your Maine registered agent’s info.
- Foreign corporation: $250 filing fee – You must supply a certificate of good standing from your home state of incorporation, and list your registered agent’s information on the filing.
- Foreign LLC in Maine: $250 filing fee. Maine foreign LLCs will need to be accompanied by a certificate of good standing from the secretary of state that you organized your LLC in.
If you are making a filing with the Maine Secretary of State, it must be signed with an original inked signature and be mailed in. There is no fax filing service or online service. You used to need your registered agent in Maine to sign your filing, but now, you just need to put down our commercial registered agent number on the filing next to our name.
Maine annual reports are due every year, and can be filed online. Annual reports cost $85 for domestic entities, and $150 for foreign entities. You will only get an email notice that your report is due. The Maine Secretary of State will not mail out a reminder.
How do I change my Maine registered agent?
You have to file the Statement of Change form for your entity type. Submit the signed original change of agent/clerk form and the attached Filer Contact Cover Letter to the Maine SOS by mail or in person. It can get a little complicated, for more information check out our Change Maine Registered Agent page.
What does Northwest Registered Agent do?
As your registered agent service provider, we make all the Maine forms available in your online account, immediately. They are all pre-populated with your business information. We send you annual report reminders and you’ll never have a weird fee.
We believe we stand out from other Maine registered agents because of our commitment to speed. For a quick visual of our real-time service, check out our Registered Agent Infographic.
Every day we pick up new registered agent clients that changed to us after paying forwarding fees with their previous agents. Your business is too important to us to play “billing games.”
How do I search for a Maine registered agent?
If you want to deliver service of process or certified mail to a business in main, just send it to the company’s registered agent at the registered office address.
- You can do a Maine business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
Who needs a Maine registered agent?
Business organization need to list a registered agent when the are formed with the Maine Secretary of State. This includes the Maine LLC or Maine Corporation.
Registered Agent ME Service Includes:
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Maine forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Maine.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.