How to reinstate a District of Columbia Corporation

we're just not annoying®


Order Online

Revival of District of Columbia Corporation with District of Columbia Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs

How to reinstate a District of Columbia Corporation:

If you would like to reinstate a Washington DC corporation, file Form GN-5, Reinstatement of Domestic Filing Entity with the District of Columbia Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs (DCRA). You will also have to submit all of the corporations missing biennial reports (DCRA calls them "2-year reports") and the filing fees, late fees, and interest. The Washington DC corporation is responsible for filing all its 2-year reports during the time when the corporation was revoked. The Washington DC corporation application for reinstatement and the 2-year reports are all available immediately in your online account when you sign up for registered agent service with Northwest. The DCRA form is fillable, so don’t handwrite on it. Corporate filings must have original signatures. You can submit the required documents and fees to the DCRA in person or by mail.

For expedited processing, include Form EX-1, Expedited Service Action. The DCRA accepts cash, money order, check, or Visa/MasterCard. Make checks payable to "D.C. Treasurer."

Do you need an Office of Tax and Revenue tax clearance?

No. You do not need clearance from the District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue to reinstate a Washington DC corporation.

How much will it cost to revive a District of Columbia Corporation?

The filing fee for an application for reinstatement is $300.
The filing fee for each biennial (2-year) report is $300.
The penalty fee for each late biennial (2-year) report is $100.
The corporation will also have to pay any interest that has accrued on the missed report(s) at a rate of 5% per month.

You can pay an additional $50 expedite fee to have the form processed in three days.
You can have the document processed in one day if you pay a $100 expedite fee.

How long does it take the DCRA to process the filing?

It takes the DCRA about 15 business days to process documents once they receive them. Mailed documents can take awhile to get there since mail is routed through Maryland for payment processing first. You can overnight documents but that won’t affect processing time.

If you include an Expedited Service Action Form, you can request to have your document filed in one day or within three days.

If you walk in documents, you have to pay for expedited processing. If you choose the same day option, the DCRA will process them while you wait.

How long does your District of Columbia Corporation have to be inactive with the DCRA before you wouldn’t have any fees, and would just have to start over with a new District of Columbia Corporation?

You can reinstate your Washington DC corporation at any time after it has been forfeited. There is no limit on reinstatement so you would never have to start over.

However, if you wanted to start over to avoid paying the reinstatement fees you can form a new entity with the DCRA. The name would have to be different if the old corporation is in revoked status with the DCRA.

Can you change your District of Columbia registered agent at the same time on the District of Columbia reinstatement?

No. You can’t appoint a new registered agent on the reinstatement form. You have to list the corporations registered agent at the time of revocation.

Can you change your principal address at the same time on the District of Columbia reinstatement form?

No. You can’t change the corporations principal address on the reinstatement form.

Can you change your officers and directors at the same time on the District of Columbia reinstatement form?

No. You can’t change the corporations officers and directors on the reinstatement form.

What if my corporations name is not available when I reinstate?

The corporations name is only protected until the end of the year it is revoked (December 31st). If the Washington DC corporations name is still available at the time of reinstatement, you have to use it. If the corporations name is not available then you can change the name right on the application for reinstatement.

How many biennial reports can you miss before you can’t revive your District of Columbia Corporation?

You can reinstate your Washington DC corporation at any time. It does not matter how many reports you have missed. Remember that the biennial report fees and penalties continue to add up while the corporation is revoked.

What District of Columbia agency do you have to reinstate with?

You can submit your corporations application for reinstatement to the District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, Corporations Division by mail or in person.

In person:
Cashier's Office
Business Licensing Center
2nd Floor
1100 4th Street SW
Washington, DC 20024
Monday-Wednesday and Friday 8:30-4:30
Thursday 9:30-4:30

Mail – USPS:
Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations Division
P.O. Box 92300
Washington, DC 20090

Mail - Non USPS:
Wells Fargo Bank
7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
Lockbox # 92300
Columbia, MD 21046

Phone: (202) 442-4400
Fax: (202) 442-9445


Northwest Registered Agent Service, Inc.
Washington, DC 20036
District of Columbia

Our Pitch
As your District of Columbia registered agent and DC Corporation service provider, we provide timely reminders, and filing instructions to file your District of Columbia annual reports.

We immediately upload to your online account all documents received in DC, locally.

If you’re looking at this page, something probably went wrong with your initial company setup.

If you’d like help establishing a new corporation, you can sign up for incorporation service, where we establish the corporation with the state, make the initial resolutions, and prepare your operating agreement for a minimal fee.

If you’d like to do it yourself, and just hire us to be the registered agent to take advantage of our online compliance tools, and forms to file with the state, we’d be very happy to serve you.

We make our money by charging $125.00 a year to act as your registered agent. Obviously it’s in our best interest and yours to have your company be active and in good standing. Because of this, we have a long-term interest in your success and compliance.
Registered Agent
Signup for Incorporation Service   Signup for Registered Agent Service
Detailed step by step information on how to incorporate or register your business in:
Alabama Corp, Alaska Corp, Arizona Corp, Arkansas Corp, California Corp, Colorado, Connecticut Corp, Delaware Corp, District of Columbia, Florida Corp, Georgia Corp, Hawaii Corp, Idaho Corporation, Illinois Corp, Indiana Corp, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana Corporation, Nebraska Corp, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington Corporation, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming Corporation.

Why Choose Us?

1998 -  Copyright © Northwest Registered Agent, LLC. All Rights Reserved
No duplication of this site, or content therein, is permitted without prior express written authorization.