HOW TO START A BUSINESS IN OHIO
Starting a business in Ohio can and should be easier than you think. You file simple forms with the secretary of state, and your business is formed! Obviously there’s a few more things than that, but if you’d like to start your own business yourself, you will find it easy to hire us as your registered agent and you’ll find all the forms you could file to start a business in Ohio, along with great filing instructions on the quickest and cheapest ways to start your business in Ohio.
What’s the actual process to start a business in Ohio?
- You file articles of incorporation for an Ohio corporation or articles of organization for an Ohio LLC with the OH Secretary of State.
- You obtain a federal tax ID number (FEIN or EIN) with the IRS after you have confirmation and filed articles from the State of Ohio showing your approved Ohio business.
- Opening a business banking account under your new Ohio business name should be easy with these two items.
- Next register with the OH Department of Taxation. They can help you determine your state and local tax requirements.
- You can use the online Ohio Business Gateway to find out which licenses and permits your business needs. Ohio doesn’t have a general state business license requirement.
- If you have employees, contact the Ohio New Hire Reporting Center and the Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation.
- If you’re going to have an office or shop you might need an approval from the city zoning for your type of business in that location.
- If you get overwhelmed, just get your business pulling in money and worry about regulations later.
If you want a corporation, you file Ohio Articles of Incorporation:
The Ohio articles of incorporation cost $125 with the Ohio Secretary of State.
We custom draft your Ohio articles of incorporation when you hire Northwest to start your Ohio business. The basic requirements of Ohio corporations are:
- The Ohio corporation must have a corporate ending such as incorporated, corporation or an abbreviation thereof.
- The duration of the corporation is "perpetual" unless otherwise stated.
- The purpose of the Ohio corporation.
- The number of shares the Ohio corporation is authorized to issue and par value.
- The name of the registered agent in Ohio and the registered office address.
- The name and address of the directors of the Ohio corporation.
- The name and address of the Ohio incorporators.
- Date of execution.
- The Ohio incorporator must sign the articles of incorporation.
- The name and business address of the person preparing the OH articles of incorporation
Ohio does not require original signatures on new OH corporation filings. The filing will be returned to the address on the cover letter or the check.
If you want a LLC, you file Ohio Articles of Organization:
To form an Ohio LLC, you file Ohio articles of organization. The basic requirements of Ohio LLC filings are:
- The business name must have a limited liability company ending or variation of it such as LLC, L.L.C.
- The Ohio business name must be different than already registered Ohio businesses.
- The duration of the Ohio LLC, (Usually perpetual.)
- Ohio limited liability companies do not need to state a LLC purpose.
- The Ohio registered agent and the physical address.
- The names and addresses of the initial member(s) are not required
- If the OH limited liability company is to be managed by one or more managers, you must specify this management structure. Managers names are not required.
- Someone must sign as the OH LLC organizer.
Ohio does not require original signatures on new OH LLC filings. Ohio Secretary of State will return the filing to the address on the cover letter or the address on the check.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? You can save some money:
If you want to start a business in Ohio yourself, you can just hire us as your Ohio registered agent, and you'll instantly have the Ohio LLC or corporation forms to file along with filing instructions on the quickest, cheapest, and most efficient way to incorporate an Ohio corporation or form a Ohio LLC. You'll get the ongoing support of our online tools, reminders and the support of a professional Ohio registered agent service.
MORE HELPFUL TIPS
Northwest Registered Agent Service, Inc.
Cleveland, OH 44113