California Registered Agent Service
- We locally scan all docs to you in real time.
- Your instant account has every state form you could file; pre-populated with our info.
- Our filing instructions and tips allow you to pay states direct; no markups.
- don't hook you with a lower price only to later upsell you.
- include compliance service tools.
- will actually be your registered agent.
Info your CA registered agent should help you know and understand:
- If you would like to file a domestic California corporation it will cost you $100 to file. You appoint a CA registered agent on the articles. You also will need to file a statement of information that costs $25. Many on-line incorporators do not include a statement of information preparation. These are due within 30 days of the filing, but it is better, to just include it at the same time. You will need your California registered agent's name on the articles.
- A foreign corporation costs the same as a domestic corporation. You must maintain a California registered agent for service of process and correspondence with the state. A foreign corporation will be subject to the franchise tax board's $800 fee immediately.
- A foreign LLC costs the same as a domestic California LLC, and both have to pay the $800 franchise tax as listed above. Foreign LLCs must have a California registered agent.
- A domestic LLC cannot avoid the $800 franchise tax for the first year like a California s-corporation can, which is insanely stupid considering a California s corporation is not an actually entity, but only an election made with the IRS, and you can make the s corp election with the IRS for an LLC. An LLC is required to maintain a California registered agent with a physical address in the state. Northwest Registered Agent provides this service in California in San Francisco CA in the historic Haight-Ashbury district.
A domestic corporation that files as an S corp can be exempt from the $800 a year fee for the first year, and then would pay it when it's normal taxes are due for the next year. If you file your business in the middle of the year, or even on December 1, you will owe the $800 franchise fee for that whole year. Then you will owe it again for the next year. If you file your company in the last 2 weeks of the year, you won't have to pay the CA franchise tax for that year; but be careful! CA takes the date they receive your docs as the "file date", not the date they file them. Right now, CA is taking 2 months to process a filing so let's say you send in your filing December 10th, they receive it on the 12th, then they take 1 month to process it. You get your filed docs around the middle to the end of February, and it will show your file date of December 12th. Thus, you'll owe the $800 franchise tax, for the entire year...and you wouldn't have even received or had the authority to do business in that year. Ridiculous? Yes. It's California! Need I say more? They could hire a programmer off the San Francisco Craigslist for probably $5,000 - $10,000 to build an instant online filing system, in 1-2 weeks development time, but that wouldn't make much sense now would it?
The good news about the CA franchise tax is that it's a "minimum" payment. What that means is if you're a profitable business, you won't even know you're paying it.
The CA franchise tax can be a scarry and confusing topic for many people. Basically, the rule is that you are supposed to pre-pay $800 a year and then when it’s time to do your taxes you either pay more because you made enough money that your net income tax owed exceeds the $800 or you pre-pay the next year. The good news is that even if you don’t pre-pay it, the penalty is not all that much. Many people just don’t pre-pay it, and have their CPA figure it out at the end of the year and then pay a late fee.
Registered Agent California Service Includes:
- Instant California registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant California forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in California.
- State resources in your California registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple statement of information report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan 'service of process' and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly...We're just not annoying™.