Maryland Registered Agent
You get an instant online account. We:
- Locally scan all docs in real time
- Give you the forms to file
- Tips to get your filing done fast
- MD company management system
- Access to our Corporate Guides™
CHEAPER SITES EXIST
Kind of, but we:
- Include MD Personal Property Return reminders
- Don’t raise the price once we get you
- Will actually be your registered agent
- Aren’t a suite number in a virtual office
Resident Agent Services in Maryland
What is a Maryland registered agent?
If you’re forming a corporation or limited liability company (LLC) in Maryland, you’ve probably seen the term “resident agent” listed on your Maryland formation documents. Pursuant to state code (§ 2-108), all corporations and LLCs authorized to do business in Maryland are required to designate a resident agent. The resident agent serves as your business’ point of contact in the state to accept all legal notices on behalf of your business.
All entities registering to do business in Maryland must appoint a Maryland resident agent (this is the same thing as a Maryland registered agent).
Maryland Registered Agent Requirements
As your business’ official point of contact with the state of Maryland, your registered agent will accept subpoenas, lawsuits, or other legal documents hand-delivered by a process server or county sheriff. Also, your Maryland resident agent will be responsible for official mail from the Maryland State Department of Assessment and Taxation (SDAT) like annual report forms and other important documents.
In order to receive any official mail or legal documents, your Maryland registered agent must be available during normal business hours. Due to the importance of the documents for which your Maryland registered agent is responsible, they should also be extremely organized and have a system in place to securely manage any legal documents they receive on behalf of your business.
What happens if my Maryland registered agent doesn’t fulfill their responsibilities?
Your business could suffer greatly if your registered agent loses important legal documents. A lost legal document could result in legal actions being taken against your business with you knowing about it. In this scenario, a judge may rule a default judgment against your business. If annual reports aren’t filed, the state could dissolve your business, and again, you might not know about it until it’s too late. But if you hire our registered agent service, you can rest assured that you’ll be notified immediately if your company is served with a lawsuit or needs to file a report with the state of Maryland. (For a quick visual of our real-time service, see our Registered Agent Infographic.)
Who can be a registered agent in Maryland?
Any of the following can be a resident agent in Maryland: a citizen of Maryland who resides in Maryland, or a Maryland corporation. However, the resident agent’s address must be a physical address; resident agents cannot have a post office box.
Can my Maryland corporation be its own resident agent?
Yes, but the address must not be a post office box. Maryland registered agents must have a physical address located within the state. This address is officially referred to on the SDAT formation documents as the resident office address.
Maryland Registered Agent Information:
- Annual reports get mailed to your Maryland registered agent in January or February of every year, and are due on April 15th. All annual reports cost $300. The Maryland annual reports are more like a personal property tax return. They are by far the worst report that any state has. Basically, they just want your money and most people fall in the minimum payment category.
- To change your Maryland resident agent, it costs $25. You file a change of Maryland resident agent form, which is pre-signed and in your online account immediately after you sign up for service with us.
Who needs a Maryland registered agent?
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
- It’s not personal, but you’ll likely struggle with your business filing.Why? Because Maryland business registration filings are notoriously complicated. But we do them every day, and when you hire us, as part of our registered agent service, we’ll instantly provide you with filing instructions, tips, order sheets, and the forms you need to file.
- Call us!We’re here to help walk you through the process of starting your Maryland business. When you have a question, just call. The people who answer the phones don’t read from scripts or try to sell you anything—we’re just here to help you get started.
- This is only the beginning.When you form a Maryland corporation or LLC, you’ll have ongoing reports like the Maryland Personal Property Return, which is due to the state every April 15. We also offer complete corporate services in Maryland. You can always see upcoming report dates for every state in which we’re your registered agent. Your reminders are always based off your real corporate data, the same data the state sees. And if legislative laws change and affect your business, you’ll know about it. We have the most sophisticated business compliance reminder system in our industry. We do the work for you programmatically on the backend and provide you with not only a reminder but the forms you need to file (LLC forms, corporation forms, annual report forms, etc.) already prepopulated with your information on them—all for no additional charge.
- Free tools.We don’t simply send you a bill for providing Maryland registered agent service—we offer all the corporate legal forms you need to maintain your LLC, nonprofit, charity, corporation, LLP, or any other type of Maryland business. Through our Online Service Manager, you need only enter your information once and use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms, like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agent services?
- Big data.If you’ve heard of the phrase “big data,” you’re probably afraid of it and should be. But you need not fear it in connection with Northwest. We don’t store your credit card information. We don’t sell your data to others to make money.
- We are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything for you in real time.Through our Online Service Manager, we’ll scan everything for you in real time. Your Maryland registered agent service is going to be your point of contact for serious legal notices. We maintain our own registered offices in each state, and when you hire us for Maryland registered agent service, we’ll scan everything from our office in Oakland, MD. And we don’t just email you a copy of your notice. Our Online Service Manager utilizes the most sophisticated calendaring response and tracking system of any Maryland registered agent service to help make sure you, and whoever you want to be notified don’t just get a notice but that you’re actually reviewing the documents.
- This shouldn’t be a whimsical decision. When the general public or a government official wants to know who owns your company, your registered agent is who they’ll contact. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data private, trained staff who will not give away your information, and in-house data security professionals who stress test our own systems regularly. We also prosecute those who try to hack our system.
- Billing policy. We pick up new clients switching registered agent services every day because they’re annoyed by their current registered agent’s billing policies. We don’t send our clients to collections. If you don’t want to pay us, don’t. We’ve never sent a client to collections. Our trademarked slogan is “We’re just not annoying.” This isn’t just a saying, it’s a motto we live by.
- This is all we do.When you hire us for service, you’re actually hiring Northwest Registered Agent. Registered agent service isn’t a line item on a profit and loss sheet. It’s not a dividend payment to our owners. It’s not an idea we hope will work out. And we sure as heck aren’t a massive corporate conglomerate looking for every penny of profit we can grab. This isn’t just a job to us, it’s our passion.