Minnesota Registered Agent
REAL TIME SERVICE
Instantly talk to our Corporate Guides™ or use your online account where you’ll find:
- Docs we get for you
- Minnesota business forms to file
- Minnesota filing tips
- MN company management system
With Northwest Registered Agent, what you see is what you get. We offer:
- Same price every year
- No extra fees
- No up-sells
- WE will be your registered agent
Registered Agent Service in Minnesota
What Is a Minnesota Registered Agent and Why Do I Need One?
According to Minnesota state statute chapter 5 §36, all business entities registered or formed in Minnesota must designate a registered agent. These agents accept all important legal documents, like service of process and official mail from the state, on behalf of the business. Registered agents in Minnesota may also be referred to as statutory agents or resident agents.
Having a registered agent ensures that your Minnesota business is properly notified and receives any services of process or notices from the state before a lawsuit can move forward in court.
What are the responsibilities of a Minnesota registered agent?
- Your Minnesota registered agent is the main point of contact between your business and the state of Minnesota. Your agent accepts all services of process and official notices from the state on your business’ behalf. After receiving any notifications or lawsuits, the agent is then responsible for notifying you, the business owner.
- Your agent should have a system in place to deliver any notices or official mail to you as soon as possible. And hopefully their delivery method (cell, text, voip, emails, etc.) is one that suits your lifestyle. If you hire Northwest Registered Agent, we’ll provide you with an online account to help manage and organize any documents for your business.
- Your Minnesota registered agent needs a reliable commercial address and office, which should be open during normal business hours, to accept services of process and other legal documents on behalf of your business.
- Should anyone at the Minnesota secretary of state have any questions concerning your business, your registered agent is who they’ll be calling. Your registered agent will also be to whom the secretary of state mails annual report forms and state tax notices.
- While there is no requirement to have someone else file the formation paperwork for your Minnesota LLC or corporation, your registered agent should be qualified to do this for you.
Can I be my own registered agent in Minnesota?
Yes, but Minnesota does have restrictions on who can be a registered agent:
- The address of the agent must be within Minnesota state lines. You need a registered agent in each state where your business operates.
- The registered office must be a physical address; P.O. Boxes are not satisfactory addresses.
- A Minnesota registered agent must be a resident of Minnesota or a business entity authorized to conduct business in the state.
- The Minnesota statute reads that, “The registered agent must maintain a business office that is identical with the registered office.” What this means is that your registered agent must be available at the address listed on a business’ formation documents to accept services of process on behalf of your business during normal business hours.
Helpful tip: The name and address of your registered agent is what will be listed on the Minnesota secretary of state’s website as contact information for your business. If you hire a registered agent, you’ll maintain a higher level of personal privacy.
What’s the benefit of hiring a registered agent service?
- If you have a web-based or similar type of business without a physical address, hiring a registered agent service will satisfy Minnesota state requirements.
- Some businesses in Minnesota that don’t keep regular business hours hire agent services to meet the state conditions.
- Some business owners desire privacy and don’t want their names and addresses listed on the secretary of state’s websites as their business’ main point of contact.
- Registered agent services should help business owners track important legal documents and business obligations like annual reports.
- Listing friends or family members as your business’ registered agent can cause unwanted distractions and tension. Do you want your friends or relatives knowing the intimate details your business’ lawsuits? Do you trust this person to notify you immediately if they receive a service of process? If not, you could miss a court deadline without knowing it.
How much does Northwest Registered Agent charge?
$125 per year. You’ll find no hidden fees, and we include automatic discounts for more states and companies as your business’ portfolio expands.
What kind of service do I get for $125?
- We have the most thorough alert system in the business. No kidding. If you want us to remind you, or anyone else you elect, until you actually look at the documents we’ve uploaded to your account, we can do this. We don’t take our responsibility lightly. When we receive a document for your business, a serious timeline begins and over the course of the following week, you’ll receive regular emails, phone calls, faxes, texts, and finally mailed notices to informing you to look at your lawsuit. We can notify your Minnesota attorney for particular documents if you choose. You can customize the entire notification experience and decide who gets notified for what type of document.
- For high-volume lawsuit clients, we have a special management portal where all your docs are OCR’d and customizable to meet your needs.
- When we receive a notice from the state or a service of process for your business, within minutes we will scan the documents at our Minnesota office in St. Louis Park and upload them to your account. When this happens, you’ll instantly receive an email prompting you to log in to view the documents. We’re the only national registered agent service that uploads everything locally at our office to your account in real time. For a quick visual of our real-time service, take a look at our Registered Agent Infographic.
- We also send reminders when any business reports are due to the Minnesota secretary of state. We won’t upsell your annual report or scam you into having us file it so we can charge a fee. We give you the link, the form, and instructions to do it yourself and save you money.
- When you hire Northwest Registered Agent, you will also receive instant access to your online account. There, you’ll find every Minnesota state form you can file, and each form is pre-populated with our information to make filings easy. We also include ordering sheets and all kinds of Minnesota state forms that aren’t easily found.
- In your account, you’ll also find instructions and tips from our expert business professionals on the best ways to file state forms and make payments with no additional markup.
- Northwest is a national company. You can add as many states as you need to register your business in and the filing forms and instructions will always be at your fingertips. Plus, as your business grows into more states, you’ll receive an automatic discount. Not to mention having one vendor manage all your companies in one account will save you from a lot of organizational headaches.
- We’ve worked with the secretary of state for years. We know them, they know us. We’re great at ironing out any bureaucratic wrinkles your business may encounter in Minnesota.
- Any time you have a question and can’t find an answer, you can call us and talk with a real, knowledgeable human being who will help you find whatever you need to know at no additional charge.
How does the state know who my registered agent is?
When you form a corporation, LLC, or other business entity with the Minnesota secretary of state, you will be required to list the name and address of your registered agent in the formation documents.
How do you find a Minnesota company’s registered agent?
- You can do an Minnesota business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the MN registered agent name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify someone through their Minnesota registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name at the registered office address.
Do I hire a registered agent before or after forming my corporation or LLC?
You can’t form your LLC or corporation in Minnesota until you designate a registered agent, so you should hire one before forming your business entity. Also, your registered agent should be able to help you file with the state.
Do all businesses in Minnesota need a registered agent?
All “formed” business entities do, but a sole proprietorship doesn’t because it isn’t technically a formed business entity because you don’t have to file any paperwork to operate as a sole proprietor.
What if my business never gets sued? Would it still be worth hiring a registered agent service?
That depends. Some business owners rest easier knowing they’ll be notified if something does happen. A registered agent should also help keep you updated on any business reports due to the secretary of state. And if you hire Northwest Registered Agent, we’ll provide you with great customer service, an online account to track all of your business’ important legal documents, any form you could file with any state, and we’ll also give you helpful tips for filing forms and paying the state without tacking on additional fees. Plus, if you plan on operating in multiple states, a registered agent service will simplify your life.
What if I get sued all the time?
We don’t charge more for high-volume businesses. But if you know you’re going to get sued hundreds of times a year, we should create a custom price that makes sense for both of us. Our typical clients receive more than 15 lawsuits a year and do not pay additional fees.
How is a registered agent served with a lawsuit?
A process server will deliver a summons form and a complaint form to your registered agent. The agent will sign the process server’s documents acknowledging receipt of the lawsuit. If you’ve hired Northwest, we’ll then scan the documents, upload them to your account, and notify you within minutes.
So I can really hire you for only $125 a year and there are no hidden fees?
You betcha! In three minutes or less you can sign up online and have access to your account instantly.
Can you help me switch my registered agent?
Definitely. Call us or find information on our website to discover what you need to do to change agents in Minnesota.
How much extra will Northwest charge to form my corporation or LLC?
$100 plus state filing fees.
Do I really need hire someone else to do my business filing?
No. Throughout our website you’ll find all the resources you need to help you complete your filing. For instance, get specific help forming your corporation, LLC or nonprofit in Minnesota.
One reason why some startups do hire a registered agent service to complete their filing is they’re concerned about having their home or business address listed on public record on the Minnesota secretary of state’s website. If you hire an agent to do your filing, the agent’s address will be listed—not yours. But if this is not a concern, there’s almost no advantage in having professionals form your business entity.
And if you do hire us as your Minnesota registered agent, you’ll get all the forms you need to create corporations and LLCs in any state in your online account. All forms are pre-populated with our information and you’ll find some helpful tips to make forming your business simple.
Registered Agent MN Service Includes:
- Instant Minnesota registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Minnesota forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Minnesota.
- State resources in your Minnesota registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual renewal reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.