South Dakota Registered Agent
- We locally scan all docs to you in real time.
- Your instant account has every state form you could file; pre-populated with our info.
- Our filing instructions and tips allow you to pay states direct; no markups.
Cheaper Sites Exist
True, but we
- don’t hook you with a lower price only to later upsell you.
- include compliance service tools.
- will actually be your registered agent.
Northwest Registered Agent, LLC.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Registered Agent Service in South Dakota
Why you need a South Dakota registered agent:
- South Dakota requires all registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- The registered agent requirement exists so the general public and the have a reliable way to contact your business.
What do South Dakota registered agents do?
- Accept documents on behalf of your business in South Dakota and get them to you fast.
- SD registered agents need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of South Dakota where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office.
- Keep normal business hours.
What are the requirements for South Dakota registered agents?
Whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC), C-corp, or S-corp, the state of South Dakota requires the same from its registered agents:
- An SD registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- SD registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in South Dakota).
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
- Learn more: Registered Agent Service
What is a South Dakota registered agent?
According to the South Dakota state statute (§ 59-11-6):
- A South Dakota resident or corporation that maintains a registered office address in South Dakota and is willing to accept service of process and official mail on behalf of a business.
- The agent must be able to accept any notice, demand, or service of process required by law to be served on the business.
- Learn more: What is a Registered Agent?
How to search for a South Dakota registered agent:
- Perform a South Dakota business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- Find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address in the search results.
If you want to legally notify a business through their South Dakota registered agent service, just send a letter through certified mail directly to the registered agent at their registered office address. You’ll likely hear back from the business within a few weeks.
How to change your South Dakota registered agent:
- File a change of agent form with the South Dakota Secretary of the State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your South Dakota registered agent page.
Where is Northwest’s registered office in South Dakota?
We accept and scan all of our South Dakota clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Sioux Falls, SD.
After you accept service of process, how will you get my documents to me?
When we accept a document on behalf of your business we will scan the docs from our office in Sioux Falls within minutes to your online account. We created a registered agent infographic to illustrate our document delivery system.
Can I have my business’ mail delivered to your South Dakota office?
- No. We want to help if possible, but we don’t want all of your business’ mail.
- If you don’t have a lease at our address, the postal service might not deliver your mail.
- As your registered agent in South Dakota, things come directly to us—Northwest Registered Agent Service Inc.—care of you.
- If we do receive any mail for you, though, we’ll scan it to you in real time, in minutes.
Can I use the address of your South Dakota registered office for everything on my business filing?
Please do! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
How do South Dakota registered agents get served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you receive the documents your South Dakota registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired us, long before the server hands in their affidavit to the court, you’ve received your documents because we scanned them to your online account within minute of having been served.
How do I get registered agent service in South Dakota?
- You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
- We’ll become your South Dakota registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the South Dakota Secretary of the State.
- We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
- About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of South Dakota registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
- We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
- We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for South Dakota registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with South Dakota corporate paperwork formalities like the South Dakota annual report.
Do I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in South Dakota?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the secretary of state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
Who needs a registered agent in South Dakota?
Anyone forming a South Dakota LLC or corporation in South Dakota.
Registered Agent South Dakota Service Includes:
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant South Dakota forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in South Dakota.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.