How to Change Your Registered Agent in South Dakota
To change your registered agent in South Dakota, you must complete and file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form with the South Dakota Secretary of State. The South Dakota Statement of Change of Registered Agent must be submitted by mail or in person and costs $10 to file. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your South Dakota Statement of Change of Registered Agent paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.
Free PDF Download
Download the South Dakota Statement of Change of Registered Agent form here
Do It Yourself Online
Sign up for a free account and fill out the South Dakota Statement of Change of Registered Agent form here
South Dakota Registered Agent Service$125 Per Year
Steps to Changing Your South Dakota Registered Agent
If you would like to change your registered agent in South Dakota, you will need to complete the following three general steps:
- Select a new South Dakota registered agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
- Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
- Complete and submit your South Dakota Statement of Change of Registered Agent to the South Dakota Secretary of State.
What are the options and different ways you can change your South Dakota registered agent?
The best option for changing your South Dakota registered agent, whether you have a Commercial Registered Agent or a noncommercial registered agent, is to file a statement of change online at the Annual Report Online portal. You may also submit the completed Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent or Both form by mail or in person to the South Dakota Secretary of State Office, in duplicate, along with the filing fee. The registered agent does not have to sign the form, and the signature of the authorized person does not have to be original.
You may also change your registered agent in South Dakota in an Amendment to Articles of Incorporation, or an Application for Amended Articles of Organization. However, amendments are much more expensive than the Statement of Change of Registered Office or Registered Agent. If you happen to be changing registered agent at the time other articles need amending, this will work fine but do not use this method if registered agent change is all you are doing.
To ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to a full stop, check out our South Dakota registered agent resignation page.
Changing Your South Dakota Registered Agent FAQs
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in South Dakota?
There is a $10 filing fee to change your registered agent in South Dakota.
Sign up for registered agent service with Northwest and you will find the pre-populated form for filing your change in your online account.
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in South Dakota?
All documents submitted to the South Dakota Secretary of State are processed in approximately two business days. You may include a $50 expedite fee if you need it processed same day.
Expect More From a Registered Agent
We have a team of South Dakota experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the South Dakota Secretary of State requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Statement of Change of Registered Agent form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant South Dakota forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in South Dakota.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.