South Dakota Registered Agent
Registered Agent Service in South Dakota
Why you need a South Dakota registered agent:
- South Dakota requires all registered businesses to appoint a registered agent.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- The registered agent requirement exists so the general public and the have a reliable way to contact your business.
What do South Dakota registered agents do?
- Accept documents on behalf of your business in South Dakota and get them to you fast.
- SD registered agents need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of South Dakota where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office.
- Keep normal business hours.
What are the requirements for South Dakota registered agents?
Whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC), C-corp, or S-corp, the state of South Dakota requires the following from its registered agents:
- A South Dakota registered agent must be a state resident or company that provides registered agent services.
- SD registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in South Dakota).
- South Dakota registered agents must accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
What is a South Dakota registered agent?
According to the South Dakota state statute (§ 59-11-6):
- A South Dakota resident or corporation that maintains a registered office address in South Dakota and is willing to accept service of process and official mail on behalf of a business.
- The registered agent must be able to accept any notice, demand, or service of process required by law to be served on the business.
How to search for a South Dakota registered agent:
- Perform a South Dakota business name search via the SD Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- Find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address in the search results.
If you want to legally notify a business through their South Dakota registered agent service, just send a letter through certified mail directly to the registered agent at their registered office address.
How to change your South Dakota registered agent:
- File a change of agent form with the South Dakota Secretary of the State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your South Dakota registered agent page.
Where is Northwest’s registered office in South Dakota?
We accept and scan all of our South Dakota clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Sioux Falls, SD.
After you accept service of process, how will you get my documents to me?
When we accept a document on behalf of your business we will scan the docs from our office in Sioux Falls within minutes to your online account. We created a registered agent infographic to illustrate our document delivery system.
Can I have my business’ mail delivered to your South Dakota office?
- No, we don’t want to receive all of your business mail. If something is sent to us though, we will try to help!
- Regular business mail addressed to your business may not be correctly delivered to our address. Official mail is addressed to us, Northwest Registered Agent c/o your business, so it gets delivered just fine.
Can I use the address of your South Dakota registered office for everything on my business filing?
Please do! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
How do South Dakota registered agents get served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you receive the documents your South Dakota registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired us, long before the server hands in their affidavit to the court, you’ve received your documents because we scanned them to your online account within minute of having been served.
How do I get registered agent service in South Dakota?
- You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
- We’ll become your South Dakota registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the South Dakota Secretary of the State.
- We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
- About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of South Dakota registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
- We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
- We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for South Dakota registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with South Dakota corporate paperwork formalities like the South Dakota annual report.
Do I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in South Dakota?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the secretary of state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
Who needs a registered agent in South Dakota?
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
We get it. The South Dakota registered agent requirement seems like a waste of your time and money. Just one more thing standing in between you and starting your business. But look at it this way, we make SD registered agent service worthwhile. We provide you with more than an address on a form. We have perfected our free tools to provide you all the forms, filing instructions, and renewal reminders you need to keep your business in good standing.
- South Dakota business filings can get confusing. For anyone who doesn’t do this type of thing very often, it can be a hassle. Nothing personal. But between figuring out which forms to file, making sure they are completed properly, and including the appropriate fees… It is not exactly a party. But we do this every day. We know the state processing times and expedite options. We know if it is okay to fax or file online. And we provide all the filing instructions, tips, order sheets, and forms that we have compiled in your online account.
- Just call us! If you still have trouble with your filing, give us a call. We don’t mind walking you through the South Dakota filing process. Don’t worry about someone wasting your time or trying to sell you something. We are just here to help.
- This is only the beginning. Even after you’ve formed your SD business, there is more bureaucracy to deal with. Each year, South Dakota Corporations, PCs, Nonprofits, LLCs, PLLCs and LLPs have to file annual reports with the Secretary of State. These reports cost $50 (or $10 for non profits). You have the option of filing online or by paper form. The Secretary of State sends your postcard reminder to your SD registered agent so it is important to have someone you trust! We not only receive your reminder from the state, we also have our own reminders based on the state filing due dates. You always know when you have a deadline coming up in SD or any other state you have our registered agent service in. We are proud that we have an awesome compliance system to help you stay on top of things.
- Free tools. We also provide all the South Dakota forms you need to maintain your corporation, LLC, nonprofit, charity, LLP, or other type of business. You can enter your corporate data once, and use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states. We do more than just send you a bill each year; we provide free online software that helps you maintain your company.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agent websites?
- Big Data. It is a big scary term. But you don’t ever have to worry about us keeping your credit card info or selling your data to make extra money.
- This is serious! South Dakota registered agent service is a huge responsibility. Your registered agent is your point of contact for serious legal notices and official mail. If you don’t get those documents your business could be in major trouble. Luckily, we are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything into your online account in real time. We maintain our own commercial offices in each state, so when you hire us for South Carolina registered agent service, we scan everything from our office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Our corporate compliance system ensures that you always see your important documents because we send a series of notices. We also make sure you file your annual report. We send reminders for that too.
- Privacy. You shouldn’t make a decision like this lightly. We value your privacy and would not release any of your personal or business information to anyone. If a member of the public or some government official wants to know who owns your company, they will contact your registered agent. Our staff is trained to keep your info private. Our in house data professionals also test all of our systems to make sure you information stays safe.
- Collections. Always read the fine print. We get new clients all the time who are switching to us because they are so upset with their current registered agent’s billing policies. We don’t nickle and dime you. We don’t jack up our fees after the first year. And we never send clients to collections. “We’re Just Not Annoying” isn’t just a slogan, it’s our entire company policy.
- We obviously think pretty highly of ourselves, but this is all we do. We talk a lot about how our service can benefit you. We have spent years developing the best registered agent service, compliance tools, and website out there. We care about what we do and we think it shows.