South Dakota Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
According to the South Dakota state statute (§ 59-11-6): A South Dakota resident or corporation that maintains a registered office address in South Dakota and is willing to accept service of process and official mail on behalf of a business. The registered agent must be able to accept any notice, demand, or service of process required by law to be served on the business.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About South Dakota Registered Agents:
- Get South Dakota Registered Agent Service
- What Do South Dakota Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements for South Dakota Registered Agents
- How Do I Change My South Dakota Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- South Dakota Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do South Dakota Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, your South Dakota registered agent accepts legal documents (service of process) and official mail on behalf of your business at a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state. This location is called a registered office.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for South Dakota Registered Agents?
Whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, the state of South Dakota requires the following from a registered agent:
- A South Dakota registered agent must be a state resident or company that provides registered agent services.
- SD registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in South Dakota).
- South Dakota registered agents must accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
How Do I Change My South Dakota Registered Agent?
- File a change of agent form with the South Dakota Secretary of the State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your South Dakota registered agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
South Dakota Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A South Dakota Registered Agent?
South Dakota requires all registered businesses to appoint a registered agent. The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent. The registered agent requirement exists so the general public and the have a reliable way to contact your business.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In South Dakota?
We accept and scan all of our South Dakota clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Sioux Falls, SD.
Can I Use Your South Dakota Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Please do! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your South Dakota Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In South Dakota?
You should hire us first and then form your LLC or corporation because the secretary of state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do South Dakota Registered Agents Get Served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you receive the documents your South Dakota registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired us, long before the server hands in their affidavit to the court, you’ve received your documents because we scanned them to your online account within minute of having been served.
How Do I Search For A South Dakota Registered Agent?
- Perform a South Dakota business name search via the SD Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- Find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address in the search results.
If you want to legally notify a business through their South Dakota registered agent service, just send a letter through certified mail directly to the registered agent at their registered office address.
How To Order South Dakota Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your South Dakota registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of South Dakota registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for South Dakota registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with South Dakota corporate compliance.