A complaint is the initial document a plaintiff files with the Clerk of Court to begin a lawsuit. The complaint will list the facts of the case or event, what the defendant(s) did wrong and what the plaintiff is seeking in damages (typically the plaintiff seeks some sort of monetary compensation). The complaint must be filed it the Court. The appropriate court is the district where the plaintiff resides or does business, where the defendant resides or does business, or where the events or transactions of the case occurred. The complaint is then served on the defendant where he or she will have time to review the allegations made against them and file an answer. A summons must accompany a complaint.
123 Main Street
Anytown, US 12345
DISTRICT COURT OF ___________________
| Joe Smith,
ABC Plumbing, Inc,
| Case No.: 123456-123
The information contained in the next few paragraphs will contain the allegations made against you and/or your company. Many civil cases deal with negligence and breach of contract issues. Typically the complaint will state what the Defendant failed to do, the harm that occurred, and the damages being sought as a result. It may look as follows:
Plaintiff Joe Smith brings forth the following causes of action and alleges the following:
- Plaintiff is an individual and resident of Anytown, USA.
- Defendant is a corporation and at the time of this complaint, a resident of Anytown, USA.
- On or about July 1, 2009, Plaintiff contracted with Defendant to do basic plumbing repair at his residence at 100 Main Street on July 1, 2009.
- On or about July 1, 2009, Plaintiff and Defendant signed a contract stating the terms of the repair to be done.
- On or about July 5, 2009, Defendant arrived at the Plaintiff's residence and performed work on both the kitchen and bathrooms.
- On or about August 1, 2009, Plaintiff was taken to County Hospital after a faulty wiring job performed by the Defendant caused a small fire in the Plaintiff's bathroom and caused 3rd degree burns to the Plaintiff.
Plaintiff brings forth the following counts and allegations supporting his cause of action:
COUNT 1 – NEGLIGENCE
Defendant failed to perform the duties in the written contract in a safe and effective manner leading to the injuries sustained by the Plaintiff.
Typically there will be several counts and allegations made against the Defendant.
(sometimes called “Prayer for Relief”)
WHEREFORE, Plaintiff seeks compensatory damages in the amount of $6,000 together with attorney fees and court costs.
Dated this 1st day of January, 2010
Attorney or Yourself
At Northwest, we serve as registered agents for service of process in any State for our clients to help you keep your lawsuit complaint more private.
As your agent, your complaint will come to us instead of you, and we then upload the full scan of the complaint into your online account immediately. No more nasty visits to your workplace or home. You can view more about our services for whatever state you're in below.
How to File
How to Defend