INCORPORATING MASSACHUSETTS CORPORATIONS
What is a Massachusetts corporation?
Massachusetts corporations are separate legal entities established by the shareholders. The shareholders elect to have an incorporator make the action to incorporate a Massachusetts corporation to create a separate entity from them personally.
How much do Massachusetts corporations cost?
A Massachusetts corporation will cost $275 to file the articles of organization.
There is an additional $100 fee for each 100,000 shares over 275,000.
How do I form a Massachusetts corporation?
File Articles of Organization with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth. It will take the SOC about 2-3 business days to process your Massachusetts incorporation plus mail time. When you mail corporation or LLC forms, they need to have original signatures.
If you fax your documents, they are processed in 1-2 days. You have to go to the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website first to pay and create a coversheet first. Faxing costs an additional $25 but we recommend it because it is faster.
How are Massachusetts corporations regulated?
Massachusetts Corporations are governed by the General Laws of Massachusetts – Title XXII, Chapter 155 General Provisions Relative to Corporations.
What do the Massachusetts corporation Articles of Organization require?
- An incorporating Massachusetts ending such as Inc, corporation, or incorporated,
- A perpetual status,
- The corporation will have any lawful purpose unless you state a specific purpose,
- The number of Massachusetts corporation shares you would like to authorize;
- The class of the shares;
- The par value of the shares;
- The names and addresses of the Massachusetts corporation directors, president, treasurer, and secretary;
- The organization is effective when the articles are filed unless you specify a later date;
- The name, address, and signature of the Massachusetts incorporator; and the registered agent of the proposed Massachusetts corporation;
- The corporations fiscal year end;
- The type of business the corporation will engage in;
- The corporations principal address; and the address in MA where you will keep corporate records.
- You will also need to list contact information including the contacts telephone number and email.
You can do this yourself and use our free Massachusetts corporate tools we provide in your online account, or you can pay our $100 incorporating Massachusetts service fee and we’ll do it for you. When you pay us to form your Massachusetts corporation, your money actually goes back into the local community. Why? Because we actually run a corporation in Massachusetts, just like you.
Do I need a Massachusetts registered agent?
You need to designate a Massachusetts registered agent in your articles of organization. Your registered agent is responsible for accepting service of process and official documents for your business.
What are the ongoing fees for a Massachusetts corporation?
Massachusetts corporations are responsible for filing the Massachusetts Annual Report. The filing fee is $125 by mail or $109 by fax or online.
What about Massachusetts taxes?
Massachusetts corporations are subject to Massachusetts Taxes. The MA corporate tax rate is 9.5% with a minimum payment of $456.
Do I need a Federal Tax ID Number?
If you need a federal tax ID number, that can be obtained online immediately with the IRS.
What else do I need to know about my Massachusetts corporation?
You ma find the following information useful as your Massachusetts corporation grows:
- Registering Corporations in Another State
- Massachusetts Certified Copy
- Massachusetts Apostille
- Massachusetts Corporation Reinstatement
- Massachusetts Corporation Dissolution
What other corporate forms do I need?
We have drafted some commonly used corporate documents so that you don’t have to worry about it. Please take advantage of our Free Corporate Forms:
- Corporate Bylaws
- Stock Certificate
- First Board Meeting Minutes
- Corporate Resolution to Open a Bank Account
Should I incorporate in Massachusetts?
We suggest taking a moment to learn more about Massachusetts LLCs before you incorporate in Massachusetts.
What does your Massachusetts incorporation service include?
- Drafting custom MA corporation articles of organization.
- The incorporator initial resolutions.
- Massachusetts corporate bylaws.
- The Massachusetts corporation state filing fees.
- Massachusetts registered agent service.
- Our fees are: $100 incorporating Massachusetts service and $125 Massachusetts corporate agent service.
Total incorporating Massachusetts package for only $550 to form a Massachusetts corporation in 2 days! And that includes the state filing fees.