How to file an amendment for an Ohio Corporation with the Ohio Secretary of State

we're just not annoying®


Order Online

Step by step guide to Ohio Corporation amendments

How to file an Ohio Corporation Amendment:

To make amendments to your Ohio Corporation, just fill out the Certificate of Amendment by Directors or Incorporators to Articles form (540) or the Certificate of Amendment by Shareholders or Members form (541).

Can you re-state the initial articles instead of filing an amendment?

Ohio doesn’t provide a form for restating corporate articles. You would make changes to your articles of incorporation by way of an amendment.

Are there any specifics you can or can’t include with an Ohio Corporation amendment?

Your corporate articles can be amended for any of the following reasons:

Change the corporate name
Change your corporate address
Change, enlarge, or diminish the purpose(s) of the corporation
Increase or decrease the authorized shares
Authorize shares of a new class
Increase or decrease the par value of shares
Change or add any provision of the articles (as long as it’s legal.)

How much does an Ohio Corporation amendment cost?

To amend your corporation in Ohio, there is a $50 filing fee.
Expedited service within 2 business days is available for an extra $100 fee.

How long does it take the state to process an Ohio Corporation amendment?

Normal Processing: once received, 4-6 business days, plus additional time for return mailing.
Fax Processing: 4-6 business days, plus more time for any copies that need to be mailed back. To submit filings by fax, you must have a prepayment account with the Ohio Secretary of State.
In Person Processing: Up to 6 business days, plus additional time for return mailing.
Expedited Processing is available:
Level 1 (by mail or walk-in): within 2 business days for $100
Level 2 (walk-in only): within 1 business day for $200
Level 3 (walk-in only): within 4 hours for $300\

How will the corporation amendment be returned?

You will receive a confirmation copy of the change by mail. You will also be able to print a copy directly from their website, once your filing is processed.

What state agency do you file an amendment with?

Expedited – for an extra $100
Ohio Secretary of State
PO Box 1390
Columbus, OH 43216
Phone: (614)466-3910

Ohio Secretary of State
PO Box 1329
Columbus, OH 43216
Phone: (614)466-3910

Can you change the Ohio Corporation members or managers on an amendment?


Can you change the Idaho registered agent on the amendment?

No. For that, you will need to provide the completed Statutory Agent Update form, to the Secretary of State by mail, fax or in person. 

Can you change the principal office address and/or the mailing address on a corporation amendment?

Northwest Registered Agent Service, Inc.
Agent#  1817431
Cleveland, OH 44113
Cuyahoga County

Our Pitch
If you need help filing an Ohio Corporation amendment, correcting your Ohio Corporation By-laws, preparing new Ohio Corporation by-laws if you don’t have one, obtaining Ohio Corporation stock certificates to show ownership shares of the Ohio Corporation, a change of sale of Ohio Corporation stock, a change of Ohio Corporation officers and directors, change of principal office of the Ohio Corporation, or change of Ohio statutory agent, we can help you make these filings.

As your statutory agent, you’ll receive timely reminders of when your reports are due, state(s) you are registered in, an online account for immediate uploading of documents we received locally, and the security of having a professional Ohio statutory agent monitoring your Ohio Corporation with the State.
Statutory Agent Signup
Signup for Incorporation Service  
Detailed step by step information on how to incorporate or register your business in:
Alabama Corp, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut Corp, Delaware Corp, District of Columbia, Florida Corp, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana Corporation, Iowa Corporation, Kansas Corporation, Kentucky Corporation, Louisiana Corporation, Maine Corporation, Maryland Corporation, Massachusetts Corporation, Michigan Corporation, Minnesota Corporation, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota Corp, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.