Rhode Island Registered Agent
REAL TIME SERVICE
Instantly talk to our Corporate Guides™ or use your online account where you’ll find:
- Docs we get for you
- Rhode Island business forms to file
- Rhode Island filing tips
- RI company management system
With Northwest Registered Agent, what you see is what you get. We offer:
- Same price every year
- No extra fees
- No up-sells
- WE will be your registered agent
Northwest Registered Agent
Providence, RI 02906
Registered Agent Service in Rhode Island
What is a Rhode Island registered agent?
In Rhode Island, the definition of a registered agent includes any resident or business that maintains a registered office address in state and is willing to accept service of process and official mail for your business.
Why you need a Rhode Island registered agent:
- To start a legitimate business registered in Rhode Island, the state requires you to appoint a registered agent.
- Your business registration filing will be rejected by the Rhode Island Secretary of State’s Division of Business Services if you do not appoint a registered agent.
- Essentially, the Rhode Island registered agent requirement exists so the government and general public can reliably contact your business.
Note: Rhode Island uses the term registered agent in their corporations act and the term resident agent in their limited liability company act. The two terms are interchangeable and mean the same thing.
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
- You will probably have trouble with your Rhode Island business filing. Why? Because the entire process of filing a business registration in Rhode Island is complicated. But we do corporate filings every day and when you hire us, as part of our Rhode Island resident agent service, we’ll instantly provide you with filing instructions, tips, order sheets, and the forms you need to file.
- Just call us! We’re here to help you through the process of starting your new business in Rhode Island. Call or email us when you have a question about your business. The people who answer the phones and respond to emails aren’t robots and they’re not reading from scripts—we’re just here to help.
- Starting your business is just the beginning. Business entities formed with the Rhode Island Secretary of State have annual reporting requirements. These annual reports come to your resident agent and they cost $50 to file. Rhode Island Corporation reports are due on March 1. Rhode Island LLC reports are due sometime between September 1 and November 1.When you purchase our registered agent service, we also include complete Rhode Island corporate services at no additional charge. You’ll always see upcoming report dates for every state where we’re your registered agent. Our reminders and alerts are based on your actual filing date. And if laws that affect your business change, you’ll know about it. We have the most sophisticated alert system in the business. We do the work for you and provide you with not just reminders, but we also provide the forms you need to file prepopulated with your business’ information on them—all at no additional charge.
- Free tools. We do more than just send you an invoice each year. We make it our mission to offer all the corporate legal forms you need to maintain your LLC, nonprofit, corporation, charity, LLP, or any other Rhode Island business. You need only enter your information once, and we use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agent websites?
- Big data. If you’ve heard of the phrase “big data,” you’re right to be afraid of it. But you needn’t worry about that with Northwest. We don’t store your credit card information. We don’t sell your data to others to make money.
- We are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything to you in real time. Our registered office in Rhode Island will receive lawsuits and other important notifications on behalf of your business. This is a huge responsibility. You want to see those documents immediately. We understand that. This is why we scan your documents at our Providence office and make it available for viewing in real time. We also have an awesome alert system to make sure you log in to view your documents.
- Privacy. Choosing a registered agent service should be a careful decision. When the general public or a government official wants to know who owns your company, your registered agent is who they’ll contact. We have stringent privacy policies to keep your data private, and trained staff who will not give away your information. We also employ several in-house data security professionals who stress test our own systems regularly. Your information is safe with us!
- Collections. We never send our clients to collections. That is why we get new clients every day who are frustrated by their old registered agent’s billing policies. Our trademarked slogan is “We’re just not annoying,” and that goes for our billing practices too.
- We obviously think highly of ourselves, but this is all we do. Registered agent service isn’t a line item on a profit and loss sheet. It’s not a dividend payment to our owners. It’s not an idea we hope will work out. This isn’t just a job to us, it’s our passion, and we’re really good at it.
What do Rhode Island registered agents do?
- Receive documents on behalf of your business.
- Provide notices to your business when it receives service of process or official mail.
- Be available during normal business hours at a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location if called a registered office. Our office is in Providence, RI.
- Keep its registered office and contact information updated, so your business can be reliably contacted.
What are the requirements for Rhode Island resident agents?
The Rhode Island Limited Liability Company Act (RI Gen L § 7-16-11 (2013)) requires agents to:
- Be a Rhode Island resident or a company that provides resident agent services.
- Maintain a registered office (a physical address in Rhode Island).
- Accept legal documents (service of process) during regular business hours.
What’s the difference between noncommercial and commercial registered agents in Rhode Island?
Not much. The duties of all registered agents are the same. Commercial registered agents fill out more paperwork with the secretary of state, which in turn allows commercial agents to better maintain their entities. There is no distinct advantage to consumers when choosing to hire a commercial or noncommercial registered agent in Rhode Island.
How do I find a Rhode Island registered agent?
- Do a Rhode Island business name search with the RI Secretary of State.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a Rhode Island business through their registered agent service, send a letter through certified mail and address it to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How do I change my Rhode Island registered agent?
- File a change of agent form with the Rhode Island Secretary of State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our change your Rhode Island registered agent page.
Where is Northwest’s registered office in Rhode Island?
We accept and scan all of our Rhode Island clients’ documents from our office here in Providence, RI.
When you accept service of process, how will you send my documents?
Within minutes of accepting a document for your business, we scan it from our Providence office to your online account in real time. We created a registered agent infographic to illustrate how it all works.
Can I have my business’ mail delivered to your Rhode Island office?
If we happen to get your business mail at our Rhode Island office, we will scan and upload it to your online account. We are nice like that. But it is unlikely because the post office probably won’t properly deliver items addressed to a business that is not actually located at that address. Keep in mind, when official mail and service of process come for your business, they are addressed to Northwest Registered Agent Service c/o your business.
Can I use the address of your Rhode Island registered office for everything on my business filing?
Yes! If you would like to keep your own address off of the public record, we can help! We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our registered office address for every address on your corporate filing.
Will you let me know when my Rhode Island annual report is due?
Absolutely! When we are your registered agent, we send you a reminder and provide the forms and instructions for every state that you have registered agent service in!
How do Rhode Island registered agents get served?
This is how it works:
- A process server, county sheriff, or third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), then we sign for them.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: Once your Rhode Island registered agent signs for on your business’ behalf, you’ve been notified. So even if your registered agent never forwards those documents to you, technically, you had notice. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. If you hire Northwest, long before the server submits their affidavit to the court, you will have received your documents because we scan them to your account within minute of signing for the documents.
How do I get registered agent service in Rhode Island?
- Sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
- We’ll become your Rhode Island registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the state division of business services.
- We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
- About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Rhode Island registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
- We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
- We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Rhode Island registered agent service or paying a bill, but for keeping up with Rhode Island corporate paperwork formalities like the .
Should I hire a registered agent before or after I start my business in Rhode Island?
Hire us first. Rhode Island will reject your business registration filing if you don’t have a registered agent. You can find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you hire us.
Who needs a Rhode Island registered agent?
Anyone forming a Rhode Island corporation or LLC in Rhode Island needs a RI registered agent.
Info your RI registered agent should help you know and understand:
All filings do not need original inked signatures.
Your RI registered agent does not need to sign your filing. All entities are required to hire and maintain a registered agent in Rhode Island.
Nothing will be returned to you from the state after it’s been processed so you will have to look yourself up online.
Annual reports come to your RI registered agent. Northwest Registered Agent will not only scan these into your online account, we will remind you to get them filed. They cost $50 to file. RI corporations are due on March 1st. LLCs are due Sept 1st to November 1st.
We believe we stand out from other RI registered agent services because of our commitment to RI speed.
Registered Agent Rhode Island Service Includes:
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Rhode Island forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Rhode Island.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.