Arrow Graphic

COVID-19 Update:

As an essential business, we’re open, fully operational, and all services are active and available!

Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Menu Menu
Start Here

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

How To File An Amendment For A District Of Columbia Corporation


Step By Step Guide To District Of Columbia Corporation Amendments

How to file a District of Columbia Corporation Amendment:

To amend the articles of incorporation, file Form DBU-2 Articles of Amendment of Domestic For-Profit Corporation with the District of Columbia Department of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs, Corporations Division (DCRA). The District of Columbia DCRA requires corporation amendments to have original signatures. Include a duplicate and they will send a filed copy back to you.

Washington DC provides amendment forms on the corporations division website. They are also in your online account when you sign up for registered agent service with Northwest. You don’t have to use the form; you can draft your own amendment. Documents filed with the DCRA must be typed, not handwritten.

For expedited processing, include Form EX-1, Expedited Service Action. The DCRA accepts cash, money order, check, or Visa/MasterCard. Make checks payable to “D.C. Treasurer.”

Can you re-state the initial articles instead of filing an amendment?

Yes. You can restate the articles of incorporation instead. The restated articles may include one or more new amendments. If the new amendment requires shareholder approval, the amendment must be adopted and approved. The filing fees for restated articles are the same as the fees for filing amendments.

Are there any specifics you can or can’t include with a District of Columbia Corporation amendment?

You can change the name of the Washington DC corporation by filing an amendment.
You cannot change the incorporators, registered agent, officers or directors of the corporation by filing an amendment.

How much does a District of Columbia Corporation amendment cost?

There is a $220 filing fee to amend the articles of incorporation without increasing shares.

To include an increase of shares up to $100,000: $203

To include an increase of shares of more than 100,000: $550

To include an increase of shares of more than 500,000: $1100

To include an increase of shares of more than 1,000,000: $1650

You can pay an additional $50 for expedited processing within 3 days. You can have the amendment processed in one day if you pay a $100 expedite fee.

How long does it take the DCRA to process a District of Columbia Corporation amendment?

It takes the DCRA 15 business days to process articles of amendment once they receive them. Mailed documents can take awhile to reach the DCRA since mail is routed through Maryland for payment processing first. You can overnight documents to cut down mail time, but there is no difference in DCRA processing time.

If you include an Expedited Service Action Form, you can request to have your document filed in one day or within three days.

If you walk in documents, you have to pay an expedite fee. So you can pay the $100 to have them processed while you wait, or $50 to have documents processed in three days.

How will the District of Columbia Corporation amendment be returned?

If you mail your amendment to the DCRA, they will send the stamped copy to the address return address you provided.
If you submit an expedited service form, you can request to have your documents returned mail, email, or pick up.

What state agency do you file an amendment with?

Submit the corporate amendment to the Washington DC Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, Corporations Division.

In person:

Cashier’s Office
Business Licensing Center
2nd Floor
1100 4th Street SW
Washington, DC 20024

Mail – USPS:

Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Corporations Division
P.O. Box 92300
Washington, DC 20090

Mail – Non USPS:

Wells Fargo Bank
7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
Lockbox # 92300
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (202) 442-4400
Fax: (202) 442-9445

Can you change the District of Columbia Corporation officers or directors on an amendment?

You can’t change the officers or directors by filing an amendment. If you need to update information between biennial reports, you will need to file an amended 2-year report form.

Can you change the District of Columbia registered agent on the amendment?

No. You can’t change the corporations DC registered agent when you file an amendment. You have to file the change of agent form.

Can you change the principal office address and/or the mailing address on an Corporation amendment?

No. You can’t change the corporations address on the amendment. You should change your principal address on the biennial report. If your Washington DC corporations 2-year report is not yet due, you can file an amended 2-year report to update information.

DCRA Corporate Registration Page

Do Business The Right Way