Processing. Please Wait.

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

How to Dissolve a DC Corporation

How do you dissolve a District of Columbia Corporation?

There are two forms you can file to dissolve your District of Columbia Corporation. For corporations that have been actively engaged in business, you must file Form DBU-7, Articles of Dissolution for Domestic For-Profit Corporation with the District of Columbia Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP), Corporations Division.

To dissolve a corporation that has not issued shares or commenced business, you would just file Form DBU-8, Articles of Dissolution by Incorporators for Domestic For-Profit Corporation.

All the corporate dissolution forms are available on the DLCP website (see link below). You can type right on the DLCP forms. Complete the appropriate form(s) and submit the dissolution documents to the DLCP online, by mail or in person. Corporate filings must have original signatures. If you submit the form in duplicate, the DLCP will send a copy back to you. For expedited processing, include Form EX-1, Expedited Service Action. The DLCP accepts cash, money order, check, or Visa/MasterCard. Checks should be payable to “D.C. Treasurer.”

District of Columbia Corporation Dissolution FAQ

What District of Columbia agency do you have to file the dissolution with?

Submit your articles of dissolution to the District of Columbia Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection, Corporations Division.


Visit Access DC and create an account.

In person:

Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
Business Licensing Center
1100 4th Street SW
Washington, DC 20024

Monday-Wednesday and Friday 8:30-4:30 Thursday 9:30-4:30

Mail – USPS:

Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection
Corporations Division
P.O. Box 92300
Washington, DC 20090

Mail – Non USPS:

Wells Fargo Bank
7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
Lockbox # 92300
Columbia, MD 21046
Phone: (202) 442-4400
Fax: (202) 442-9445

Is there a filing fee to dissolve or cancel a District of Columbia Corporation?

There is an $220 filing fee for articles of dissolution.

You can pay an additional $50 to have the form processed in three days. You can have the document processed in one day if you pay a $100 expedite fee.

Do you need Office of Tax and Revenue clearance before the DC Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection will accept your dissolution?

No. You don’t need District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue clearance before you can dissolve your DC corporation.

How long does it take the DLCP to process the filing in District of Columbia?

It takes the DLCP fifteen business days to process documents once they receive them. It can take awhile for mailed documents to reach the DLCP office since mail is routed through Maryland for payment processing first. You can overnight documents to cut down on mail time, but there is no difference in DLCP processing time.

If you include an Expedited Service Action Form, you can choose one day or three day processing.

Walked in documents may be expedited. The corporations division will process them while you wait if you pay for same day expedited service. Or you may choose three day processing.

How long before someone can take your business name?

There is no name protection if you voluntarily dissolve a corporation or LLC in Washington DC. Another business entity could use the name as the corporation is dissolved.

When a Washington DC corporation is revoked by the DLCP, its name is reserved and protected until December 31st of the year the corporation is revoked. After December 31st, other business entities may use the corporations name.

What is the penalty if you just don’t file your biennial reports?

Biennial reports (DLCP calls them “2-year reports”) for Washington DC corporations are due on April 15th every other year. If a domestic corporation does not file its 2-year report by the due date, there is a late filing fee of $100. Interest accrues on the report fee at a rate of 5% per month until you pay the fee.

When a corporation doesn’t file its 2-year report, the corporation will receive written notice that there are grounds for administrative dissolution. After the notice, the corporation has 60 days to file the report. If you don’t file the 2-year report within the 60 days the corporation will be revoked by the DLCP. The date of revocation for domestic corporations is always the 2nd Monday of September.

What are the late fees and penalties to reinstate if your corporation is administratively dissolved?

If your corporation has been revoked and you want to continue your business in Washington DC, you will need to reinstate the corporation. To get your DC corporation active again, you will need to list a District of Columbia registered agent.

Application for reinstatement: $300

2-year report fee: may vary

2-year report penalty: $100 each – Any interest that has accrued on the 2-year report fee at a rate of 5% per month

DLCP Corporate Registration Page

When You Want More