Processing. Please Wait.

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

How to Dissolve an Illinois Corporation

How do you dissolve an Illinois Corporation?

To dissolve your corporation in Illinois, you submit in duplicate the completed BCA 12.20, Articles of Dissolution form by mail or in person to the Secretary of State along with the filing fee.

Illinois Corporation Dissolution FAQ

What is the filing fee to dissolve or cancel an Illinois Corporation?

To dissolve a corporation or LLC in Illinois, a $5 filing fee is required. Expedite is an additional $50 requested in person.

Do you need a Department of Revenue clearance before the Illinois Secretary of State will accept your dissolution?

No. The Illinois Secretary of State will check your franchise tax status before accepting you articles of dissolution.

How long does it take the state to process the filing in Illinois?

Normal processing is seven to ten days and expedited processing requested in person is processed in 24 hours.

How long before someone can take your business name?

If you voluntarily dissolve your Illinois Corporation, the business name is immediately available to another entity that wishes to register with the secretary of state using your name.

What is the penalty if you just don’t file your annual reports?

For failure to file your annual report and pay the fee, the penalty is administrative dissolution in 90 days if you have not corrected the delinquency. The monetary penalty depends upon the amount of franchise tax that your corporation owes to the Illinois Secretary of State. You will have to speak to the Corporate Documents Office at (217) 782-1837 to receive help determining your penalty and interest. The Application for Reinstatement carries a $200 filing fee.

Where do I send my Illinois Corporate Articles of Dissolution?

Department of Business Services
Michael J. Howlett Building
501 S. Second St., Rm 328
Springfield, IL 62756

(217) 782-6961, or

Illinois Secretary of State
69 W. Washington, Suite 1240
Chicago, IL 60602

(312) 793-3380

If you’d like help establishing another company, you may find our incorporation filing service and Illinois registered agent service helpful.  We provide all the forms and filing instructions you may need in your online account, or you can just hire us to do the filing for you.

When You Want More