Pennsylvania Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Pennsylvania commercial office provider – also known as a Pennsylvania registered agent – accepts service of process and other legal notifications on behalf of Pennsylvania businesses. When we accept legal documents and other official business mail on your behalf, we contact you immediately and upload those documents to your secure online client account for you to view.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Pennsylvania Registered Agents:
- Get Pennsylvania Registered Agent Service
- What Do Pennsylvania Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements for Pennsylvania Registered Agents
- How Do I Change My Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Pennsylvania Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Pennsylvania Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, your Pennsylvania registered agent or office provider accepts legal documents on behalf of the business at a physical address in the state.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Pennsylvania Registered Agents?
According to the Pennsylvania Registered Agent for Service of Process state code §5.36, a registered agent must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state. No P.O. Boxes.
- A PA registered agent must be a Pennsylvania resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
Note: If a company’s registered agent cannot be served after a reasonable attempt, the company’s secretary will be served at the company’s principal address. If your secretary cannot be reached, you’ll never know you were served. This could cause major problems for your business including the possibility of a judgment entered against you.
How Do I Change My Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
It costs $70 to change your Pennsylvania registered agent by filing a change of agent form. This is pretty expensive, and some companies know this, so you should choose your company carefully and choose a Pennsylvania registered agent that doesn’t have hidden fees or hidden mail forwarding fees, because it can be costly to have to change agents. Some Pennsylvania registered agents know this and know as long as they keep miscellaneous fees throughout the year less than $70 they can get away with it. We’ve seen companies even offering lower prices around $75 a year and then charging you forwarding fees every time they receive something for you. Northwest Registered Agent doesn’t believe in nickel and diming a customer. We believe in charging a fair price year after year, and hopefully you’ll refer us to your friends.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Pennsylvania Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
- All businesses registered with the state must designate a registered office in their formation documents.
- The Pennsylvania Department of State will reject your filing if you do not appoint one.
- The state and the general public must have a reliable way to contact your Pennsylvania business with legal notices and other types of official mail.
Note: Pennsylvania’s statute requires businesses to designate a registered office instead of a registered agent, so you have to designate a place for service of process to be delivered and not a person or entity who will sign for it. To further confuse the point, PA registered agents are referred to as Commercial Registered Office Providers (CROPs). This requirement makes for odd wording, but is essentially the same as other states’ registered agent requirements. A commercial registered office provider in Pennsylvania is the same thing as a registered agent elsewhere. They’re just different terms.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Pennsylvania?
We scan all documents locally from our office in downtown King of Prussia, PA.
Can I Use Your Pennsyvlania Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Pennsylvania Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
How Do Pennsylvania Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Pennsylvania registered agent office provider signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Find A Pennsylvania Registered Agent?
- Perform a Pennsylvania business name search.
- Use the name of the company you’re trying to look up.
- Look at the PA registered agent’s name and registered address.
- If you want to legally notify a business through their registered agent, simply send a letter as certified mail to the registered agent at their registered office address.
How To Order Pennsylvania Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Pennsylvania registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Pennsylvania registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Pennsylvania registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with state corporate compliance.