Install a New Plugin in WordPress
WordPress comes with a lot of inbuilt features and typically a few preinstalled plugins, but you’ll need to add plugins to extend your WordPress site’s functionality, improve security, improve your SEO, and more. There are more than 50,000 plugins available in the WordPress repository (some free, some paid).
To locate and install a plugin in the WordPress repository, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your WordPress dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Select a Keyword or type the name of the plugin you’re looking for in the Search plugins bar.
- Once you find the plugin, click Install Now.
- Once the plugin is installed, you have the option to activate it now or activate it later. Learn how to activate a WordPress plugin.
Pro Tips for Installing WordPress Plugins
- Research the plugin before installing to make sure it is a trusted source.
- Update your WordPress site before installing a new plugin.
- Back up your WordPress site before installing a new plugin.
- Once you have installed the plugin, test it and explore your site to make sure the installation didn’t conflict with other plugins or cause unintended effects.