Accessing Mobile View in WordPress
There are two main ways you can check your WordPress page’s mobile appearance.
Option 1: Preview Mobile View With Theme Customizer
If you’ve selected a theme that includes a theme customizer, you can most easily check mobile view in WordPress itself.
In your WordPress dashboard, check the Appearance option on the left sidebar to see if Customize is an available option. If not, you must select a customizable theme to use this method.
- Click Customize. A version of your webpage will appear with a customization menu on the left. At the bottom of that menu (near the “Hide Controls” option) find three icons of a monitor, a tablet and a smartphone.
- Click on the tablet or smartphone icon to load a preview of how your page will look on either device.
- Click on the monitor icon to return to desktop view.
Option 2: Preview Mobile View With Browser Tools
You can also preview various mobile views with your web browser’s Inspect tool.
- Access this mode by right-clicking inside the page, and selecting Inspect from a list of options (the exact term may differ depending on your browser).
- A developer’s interface will pop up, either on a sidebar or at the bottom of the page. Find a device toolbar icon (resembling a phone or tablet, or the two overlaid) near the top of the interface. Click that icon.
- A new menu will appear over the top of the website with a dropdown menu initially labeled Dimensions or Responsive. Click that menu for a list of popular smartphones and tablets to emulate.
- Click on a device to match the browser to its dimensions. (You can also click the nearby Rotate button to seeyour page’s appearance when theselected device is on itsside).
- Click the phone or tablet icon again to revert to desktop view.
- Click the X icon in the top corner of the developer toolbar to close it and browse normally.
This preview method is verified for Chrome and Firefox browsers.See All WordPress Guides