Uploading and Editing Images in WordPress
Ready to add images to your website? This guide explains how to upload and edit images using WordPress.
How to Upload Images
- From your WordPress dashboard, you’ll see a list of menu options on the left. Go to Media.
- Click on Library.
- Click on the Add New Media Files button near the top of the screen.
- From there, decide how you’d like to add the file. You have two choices: dragging and dropping or selecting.
How to Drop in Files
Open your computer’s files and find the relevant image or images. You can drag and drop them in the perforated square. To select several images at once, hold down the Ctrl key on a Windows computer. If you’re on a Mac, hold down the Command key.
How to Select Files
When you click the Select Files button, a list of your computer’s files will appear. Like the drop-in option, you can select one image or multiple images.
Unable to Add an Image
If you can’t add an image, it may be because your selected image size is too big. The maximum image size is 32 MB.
How to Edit Images
1. Go to the Media Library. Click on the image you want to edit.
2. A larger version of the image will pop up, with an Edit Image button beneath. Click that button to see a list of available options:
- Click on the rotate image button to rotate it either 90 or 180 degrees, or to flip it horizontally or vertically.
- Click on the crop button if you want to zero in on a particular part of the image and cut out the rest.
- Click on scale if you want to make the image smaller or bigger.
Play around with the tools on this page and see what works for you. If you add an image to your site and it doesn’t feel right, you can always go back to the media library and edit it again.
Editing Image Information
To edit image information, go back to the media library and select an image. You’ll see the image on the left and image information on the right. You can change the image’s alternative text, title, caption, and description.See All WordPress Guides