How to Change Your Registered Agent in Texas
To change your registered agent in Texas, you must complete and file a Change of Registered Agent form with the Texas Secretary of State. The Texas Change of Registered Agent must be submitted by mail, fax, in person, or online and costs $15 to file. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your Texas Change of Registered Agent paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.
Free PDF Download
Download the Texas Change of Registered Agent form here
Do It Yourself Online
Sign up for a free account and fill out the Texas Change of Registered Agent form here
Texas Registered Agent Service$125 Per Year
Steps to Changing Your Texas Registered Agent
If you would like to change your registered agent in Texas, you will need to complete the following three general steps:
- Select a new Texas registered agent. If you hire Northwest, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
- Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
- Complete and submit your Texas Change of Registered Agent to the Texas Secretary of State.
What are the options and different ways you can change your Texas registered agent?
There are a couple options. You can change your registered agent in a Certificate of Amendment but it is very expensive. All you really need to do is provide in duplicate along with the filing fee, the completed Form 401, Change of Registered Agent/Office, to the Texas Secretary of State, by mail, fax, in person or at SOSDirect Online for $15. If submitting by fax, accompany the fax with (Form 807) with your credit card information. The registered agent does not sign the form. Texas does not require original signatures.
Changing Your Texas Registered Agent FAQs
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Texas?
There is a $15 filing fee to change your registered agent in Texas. Texas has one universal form for changing registered agent where you select your type of entity at the top of the form. If you are a nonprofit corporation or a cooperative association, the filing fee is $5.
Don’t want to pay the change of agent fee? Switch your registered agent to Northwest, and we’ll pay the change of agent fee to switch to us! Just sign up for registered agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Texas?
Normal Processing: 3-5 working days. The state will return your file-stamped duplicate copy. Texas offers expedited processing for an additional fee of $25 per document that is accompanied by a cover letter specifically requesting expedited processing and a day time phone number. Your filing will be processed by the close of business the following day.
If you want to view your filed documents on Texas Secretary of State Website, you must log on to SOSDirect Online Searching and Filing. There is a $1 fee every time you log on. Stays logged on all day though and do as many searches and filings as you want. Set up your online Texas account with this link: https://direct.sos.state.tx.us/acct/acct-subscribe.asp.
How do I contact the Texas Secretary of State?
Expect More From a Registered Agent
We have a team of Texas experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the Texas Secretary of State requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Change of Registered Agent form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Texas forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Texas.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- We provide free mail forwarding for occasional business mail (or premium Texas mail forwarding service for $40 a month).
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.