How To Reinstate An Iowa Corporation
Reinstate Or Revive An Iowa Corporation:
If your Iowa corporation was administratively dissolved and you wish to continue your business, file the Iowa Application for Reinstatement with the Iowa Secretary of State, Business Services (SOS). You can file online or with a paper form.
How do I file the Iowa Application for Reinstatement?
Iowa now allows businesses to apply for reinstatement online through the Iowa Secretary of State website. Here’s how:
- Log into your Fast Track Filing account.
- Click the Business Filings tab and select File a Document.
- Scroll down the page to Existing Entities and select Application for Reinstatement.
- Search for your business name or business number.
- Complete the online Application for Reinstatement with your business name, date of dissolution, and tax ID number.
- Select your title and type your full name to sign the application.
- Click Review and Pay when ready.
- Review the information you entered and pay the $5 filing fee.
- Iowa Workforce Development will review your application and inform you by email whether the application was accepted or rejected. If rejected, you’ll need to contact the SOS office.
- If accepted, the email will include a link to continue filing. You can also go to your Fast Track Filings account to resume filing.
- Once you click Continue Filing, you’ll be taken to your account, where you’ll be shown the biennial reports you need to file. You’ll also have the option fo file a Change of Registered Agent/Office form.
- Next you’ll be taken to a final Review Page. Click on the + sign next to each filing to mark it as reviewed.
- Click Proceed to Payment and pay the filing fees.
- Wait to receive an email from the Secretary of State confirming your reinstatement has been processed.
Note: If your corporation was dissolved due to the duration expiring, you must file the paper form. To get the paper application form, you’ll need to contact the Iowa Secretary of State’s office and have it sent to you.
Do I need a tax clearance certificate to reinstate an Iowa corporation?
The Secretary of State will check with the Department of Revenue and the Department of Workforce Development to determine whether the Iowa corporation is in good standing. If the corporation is delinquent, it will not be reinstated until the delinquency is remedied.
How much will it cost to revive an Iowa corporation?
The filing fee for an application to reinstate a business is $5.
It will cost $60 to file each biennial report.
How long after an Iowa corporation has been inactive can you reinstate it?
An Iowa corporation can reinstate any time after dissolution. There is no time limit.
Can I start a new corporation in Iowa instead?
Yes, you can also start over by creating a new Iowa corporation. Remember that the corporate name is protected for five years after administrative dissolution, so if you start a new business, you can’t use the same name unless it has been five years. One loophole is that if you formally dissolve the administratively dissolved corporation with the SOS, the name becomes available immediately. The filing fee for Articles of Incorporation is $50.
Can you change your Iowa registered agent at the same time on the Iowa reinstatement?
When you apply to reinstate your corporation online, you’ll have the option to submit a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent at the same time. If filing by paper, you can change your Iowa registered agent by attaching a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent form to your Application for Reinstatement.
Can you change your principal address at the same time on the Iowa reinstatement form?
The Application for Reinstatement does not give you the option of changing your principal address at the time of reinstatement.
Can you change your officers and directors at the same time on the Iowa reinstatement form?
The Application for Reinstatement does not give you the option of changing your officers or directors at the time of reinstatement.
How many biennial reports can you miss before you can’t revive your Iowa Corporation?
An Iowa corporation can reinstate any time after the date of administrative dissolution.