How to Change Your Registered Agent in Iowa
To change your registered agent in Iowa, you must complete and file a Change of Registered Agent form with the Iowa Secretary of State, Business Services Division (SOS). The Iowa Change of Registered Agent must be submitted by mail, fax, or in person and has no filing fee. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your Iowa Change of Registered Agent paperwork for you.
Free PDF Download
Download the Iowa Change of Registered Agent here
Do It Yourself Online
Sign up for a free account and fill out the Iowa Change of Registered Agent here
Iowa Registered Agent Service$125 Per Year
Steps to Changing Your Iowa Registered Agent
If you would like to change your registered agent in Iowa, you will need to complete the following three general steps:
- Select a new Iowa registered agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
- Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
- Complete and submit your Iowa Change of Registered Agent to the Iowa Secretary of State, Business Services Division.
What are the options and different ways you can change your Iowa registered agent?
All business entities can simply file a change of registered office and/or registered agent form with the Iowa Secretary of State, Business Services Division (SOS). Official SOS forms must be used when provided. Deliver the form by mail, fax or in person.
You can also change your Iowa registered agent on the biennial report that you have to file with the SOS every two years.
Finally, you can change your registered agent by filing an amendment to your articles of incorporation or organization. There is a $50 filing fee for amendments.
For the steps to take to ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to an end, see our Iowa registered agent resignation page.
Changing Your Iowa Registered Agent FAQs
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Iowa?
There is no filing fee to change your Iowa registered agent when you file the statement of change form with the SOS.
It is easy to sign up for our registered agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Iowa?
Normally, Iowa processes the change of agent in 1-2 days. Currently it is taking 2-3 days.
If you walk in your documents you can request to have them processed while you wait.
What form do you file to change your registered agent in Iowa?
All entities can file a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent. It has to be signed by the new registered agent. We provide signed, pre-populated change of agent forms in your online account when you sign up for registered agent services with Northwest.
Deliver or fax one copy of the change of agent form to:
Secretary of State
Business Services Division
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
Fax: (515) 281-7142 or (515) 242-5953
Expect More From a Registered Agent
We have a team of Iowa experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the Iowa Secretary of State requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Change of Registered Agent form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Iowa forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Iowa.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.