Iowa Registered Agent
Corporate Compliance by Local Corporate Guides®
An Iowa registered agent is any company or resident of Iowa that agrees to accept official state correspondence, service of process, and annual charter renewal notifications on behalf of business entities registered in the state. An Iowa registered agent must have a registered office with a physical street address in Iowa. The registered office must remain open during normal business hours. Whenever documents are served upon the registered office, your Iowa registered agent is required to forward those documents to you in a timely manner. This system ensures that the state has a reliable means by which to contact a business entity.
What Do Iowa Registered Agents Do?
Your registered agent should provide tools to help you maintain your business.
- Iowa registered agents must have a physical address in Iowa.
- Be open during normal business hours.
- Accept important legal documents on your business’ behalf—and get them to you, immediately.
What Are The Requirements For Iowa Registered Agents?
According to Iowa state code § 490.504, a registered agent service must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state. No P.O. Boxes.
- An IA registered agent must be an Iowa resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
Note: If a company’s registered agent cannot be served after a reasonable attempt, the company’s secretary will be served at the company’s principal address. If your secretary cannot be reached, you’ll never know you were served.
Why Do I Need An Iowa Registered Agent?
- All businesses registered with the state must appoint a registered agent.
- The Iowa Secretary of State will reject your filing if you do not appoint one.
- So that the state and the general public have a reliable way to deliver to your Iowa business legal notices and other types of official mail.
How Do I Change My Registered Agent To Northwest?
File a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent form for the Secretary of State. The change form is available instantly if you place an order with us. It’s a simple process, but if you’d like more specifics, visit our change Iowa registered agent page.Hire Us
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Iowa Registered Agent FAQs
Who Needs A Registered Agent In Iowa?
Why Do I Need Northwest As My Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
What’s Your Iowa Registered Office Like?
We scan all documents locally from our office in downtown Des Moines, IA.
How Will You Get My Legal Notices To Me?
We scan everything in real time. This registered agent infographic shows how it works.
Can I Send My Mail To Your Iowa Registered Office?
- No, that’s not what we do, but we’ll try to help you if at all possible. Call us!
- The postal service might not deliver your mail to us if you don’t have a lease at our office.
- If we happen to get mail for you, however, we’ll scan it to you in real time.
Should I Use Your Registered Office Address In Iowa On My Filing?
Yes. We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep you private address off public records.
How Do I Find An Iowa Registered Agent?
- Perform an Iowa business name search.
- Use the name of the company you’re trying to look up.
- Look at the IA registered agent’s name and registered address.
- If you want to legally notify a business through their registered agent, simply send a letter as certified mail to the registered agent at their registered office address.
How Do Iowa Registered Agents Get Served?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified of an event. It doesn’t matter if the company sees the documents or even gets them from their registered agent. You were notified if your registered agent signs for the documents; this is a responsibility we take seriously.
- A sheriff, process server, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court stating that they “served” us.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent In Iowa Before Or After I Do My Filing?
You hire us first and then do your business registration filing with the Secretary of State. The state won’t allow you to form an LLC or corporation without a registered agent. Plus, you’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you sign up.
How Does Northwest’s Iowa Registered Agent Service Work?
You sign up online (you’ll find the signup at the top of this page).
After you make your business registration filing with the Iowa Secretary of State, we’ll become your registered agent.
We collect the first year’s fee up front.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Iowa registered agent service. If you want to cancel then, you can easily do so.
We make it easy to add registered agent services online.
Your online account is the place to go—not just for registered agent service or to pay a bill—for keeping up with corporate paperwork formalities for your Iowa business.