Arkansas Charity Registration
A Free Guide To Registering Your Charity In Arkansas
Do I have to register my nonprofit as a charity in Arkansas?
If your nonprofit corporation will be collecting any donations, you must first complete the Charitable Organization Application for Registration, and submit the completed form to the Arkansas Secretary of State. Along with the application, you’ll need to include the following:
- A copy of the IRS’ Determination Letter for tax exempt status, if applicable.
- A copy of your AR nonprofit corporation’s articles of incorporation.
- A copy of your AR nonprofit corporation’s most recent tax filing.
- If your total yearly revenue is more than $500,000, you must also include an audit.
- If your entity’s physical location is not in Arkansas, you must also complete a Consent of Service form.
- If you have any contracts with paid solicitors, co-venturers, or fund-raising counsel, you must also provide a copy of each contract.
If you are a Northwest Registered Agent client, you’ll find all the forms in your client account, or you can find them on the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website.
What is the cost of registering my nonprofit corporation as a charity in Arkansas?
There is no fee to register your Arkansas nonprofit or to complete the annual renewal. Simply complete the Charitable Organization Application for Registration and mail the forms and attachments to the Office of the Secretary of State.
Is there an annual renewal requirement for charities in Arkansas?
Each charity must file an Annual Reporting Form with the Arkansas Secretary of State on or before the 15th of May each year. You can find the form on the Secretary of State’s website, or if you are a Northwest Registered Agent client, you’ll find the form in your client account.
Do all nonprofit corporations in Arkansas need to register as charities? Are there any exceptions?
In general, yes; however, there are a few slim exceptions. Any organization that solicits donations solely for church, missionary, or religious purposes does not need to register. Also, any charitable organization that does not collect more than $1,000 in contributions annually doesn’t need to register with the Arkansas Secretary of State’s office. But, if at any point, the nonprofit organization does collect more than $1,000, they need to register with the Secretary of State within 30 days or less.
Arkansas Charitable Organizations Resources:
Arkansas Secretary of State
1401 West Capitol Avenue, Ste. 250
Little Rock, AR 72201