Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Charity Registration For Washington D.C. Nonprofits

How To Register Your Nonprofit As A Charity In Washington D.C.

How do I know if I need to register my nonprofit as a charity?

If your D.C. nonprofit is directly or indirectly soliciting contributions from the public for a charitable purpose, you will need to apply for and obtain a Charitable Solicitation License. You will also need to have a Basic Business License in order to operate in D.C. Lots of paperwork! The process is found on the DLCP’s website found at the link below.

How do I get a Basic Business License?

You need to apply with the Department of Licensing & Consumer Protection for a Basic Business License. This can be done online through the DLCP website. You can also renew your license here.

How much will it cost to obtain a Charitable Solicitation License?

After all fees have been paid, it will cost you $412.50. Here is a list of fees:

Application Fee: $70
Category License Fee: $280
10% Technology Fee: $37.50
Endorsement Fee: $25

What will I need to include with my application for a Charitable Solicitation License?

The $412.50 fee;
The Application;
A Certificate of Occupancy or Home Occupation Permit;
Certified Resolution;
Corporate Registration (You will register online with the DLCP);
Your IRS Letter of Determination;
Statement of Character;
Tax Registration Form FR-164.

Is my nonprofit required to have anything else?

You will need to be able to prove that your D.C. nonprofit is up-to-date and owes no more than $100 to the district of Colombia. You will do this by completing a Clean Hands Self-Certification.

Where do I send my Application and all supporting documents and fees?

You can submit everything online and pay with a credit card. You also have the option to take it in in person or mail it to:

Business License Center
1100 4th Street SW, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20024
Phone: (202) 442-9445


Nonprofit legal docs section
Washington DC nonprofit
Tax exemption for nonprofits in Washington DC

When You Want More