Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Tax Exemption For Washington D.C. Nonprofits



How does my DC nonprofit become federally tax-exempt?

You can do this by applying for tax-exempt status with the IRS. Once you submit form 1023, the Application for Recognition of Exemption, you will begin a long and intense review process by the IRS. If the feds decide that you are worthy of tax exemption, you will receive a Letter of Determination stating your nonprofit’s tax-exempt status.

How do I apply for DC tax exemptions?

First you will need to fill out Form FR-500. You can also request exemptions from Income and Franchise tax, Sales and Use tax, or Personal Property tax by filing form FR-164. With this form you can choose to be exempt from Income and Franchise tax, Sales and Use tax, and personal property tax.

Where do I send Form FR-164?

Send it and all supporting documents to:

Government of the District of Columbia
Office of Tax and Revenue
P.O. Box 556
Washington, DC 20044-0556

Additional Washington DC Nonprofit Resources

IRS Tax Exempt Status

District of Columbia Nonprofit Information

Washington, DC Taxes

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More