Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Tax Exemption For Nonprofits In Indiana



Is my nonprofit corporation in Indiana automatically tax exempt?

No. You will have to apply separately for 501c3 status with the IRS and then the Indiana Department of Revenue to get a sales tax exemption.

How do I get authorization for Indiana sales tax exemption?

File form NP-20A with the Indiana Department of Revenue. They can also issue you your Indiana Taxpayer Identification Number.

Is there a filing fee for the NP-20A form?


Do I need to attach anything to the NP-20A form?

Yes. Attach your federal Letter of Tax Exempt Determination which you will receive after applying for federal 501c3 tax exemption.

Are there any annual requirements?

Yes. You will have to file an annual Nonprofit Organization’s Annual Report, known as Form NP-20.

Anything else I should know?

If your Indiana nonprofit will have employees or sell tangible goods for more than 30 days, the state of Indiana asks that you fill out a Business Tax Application, also known as Form BT-1.

Indiana Tax Exemption Resources:

Indiana Department of Revenue
Tax Administration
P.O. Box 7206
Indianapolis, IN 46207-7206

Indiana Dept. of Revenue, Nonprofit forms

More Indiana Tax Info

This comprehensive guide to obtaining and maintaining 501c3 status from the IRS includes information on how to prepare your nonprofit to apply for 501c3 status, as well as information about the forms and fees required by the IRS.

This guide overviews and includes the special tax-exempt language a 501c3 nonprofit organization must include as part of its articles of incorporation. 

When You Want More