Create a Free Account

Register a Foreign Nonprofit in Iowa

To register a foreign nonprofit in the State of Iowa, you must file an Application for Certificate of Authority with the Business Services Division of the Iowa Secretary of State. You can submit this document online, by mail or by fax. The Application for Certificate of Authority for an Iowa foreign nonprofit corporation costs $25 to file. Below, we cover the most frequently asked questions about how to file the Application for Certificate of Authority and register a foreign nonprofit in Iowa. Or, you can simply sign up for our Iowa Foreign Nonprofit service, and we’ll take care of your registration ourselves!

Free PDF Download

Download the Iowa Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Nonprofit in Iowa. All for free.

When You Want More, Get More

Hire Northwest and let an expert register your Foreign Nonprofit in Iowa. Includes 1 year of registered agent service.

$250 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 788 clients on Google

Free Guide To Registering A Foreign Nonprofit in Iowa

How do I register my foreign nonprofit corporation in Iowa?

File an Application for Certificate of Authority with the Business Services Division of the Iowa Secretary of State. This form is available on the department’s web site, or it’s in your online account if you registered with Northwest Registered Agent.

What information do I need to include on the Application for Certificate of Authority?

You’ll be required to list the following:

  • Name of the corporation.
  • Name and contact information for the registered agent in Iowa.
  • Date of the organization’s incorporation.
  • List the names and addresses of the corporation’s current directors and officers.
  • Attach a Certificate of Good Standingor its equivalent, dated no more than 90 days prior to the date of the filing.

What’s the cost to register a foreign nonprofit corporation in Iowa?

The filing fee is $25.

How long does it take for Iowa to process my Application for Certificate of Authority?

Online filings are processed by the state on the same day they’re received.

Does Iowa require any paperwork from my home state?

Yes, when you complete the IA application for certificate of authority for your nonprofit corporation, include a copy of a Certificate of Good Standing dated no more than 90 day prior to the date of your application.

Will I need an Iowa registered agent for my foreign nonprofit corporation?

Absolutely! When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account.

Does the Iowa registered agent need to sign for the certificate of authority?

No, your registered agent in Iowa doesn’t need to sign the application for certificate of authority.

Are there ongoing annual reports for foreign nonprofit corporations registered in Iowa?

Yes. Nonprofit corporations registered in Iowa do need to submit a biennial report every two years. Nonprofit corporations’ biennial reports are due by April 1st of every odd numbered year.

What if I register my nonprofit organization in Iowa on March 30th of an odd numbered year? Do I still need to submit a report?

Yes, you will still need to submit a report for your nonprofit corporation in Iowa. Your first report can include a projected budget, since you likely won’t have real numbers upon which to base your report.

File your application for certificate of authority with:

Business Services Division
Lucas Building, 1stFloor
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone:(515) 281-5204

Additional Nonprofit Resources:

Iowa Nonprofit Tax Exemption

When You Want More