Ohio Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
An Ohio registered agent service accepts service of process and other legal notifications on behalf of Ohio businesses. As your Ohio registered agent, we accept legal documents or official business mail on your behalf, contact you immediately and upload these documents to your secure online account for you to view.
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Ohio Registered Agents:
What Do Ohio Registered Agents Do?
At minimum, an Ohio registered agent is an Ohio resident or company that maintains a physical address in the state of Ohio and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a business. (Note that in all Ohio forms and legislation, the state uses the term “statutory agent.” The only difference between statutory agents and Ohio registered agents is the name. The words are interchangeable and the responsibilities of each are the same.)
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Ohio Registered Agents?
According to Ohio state code § 1705.06, a statutory agent (registered agent) must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state of Ohio. No P.O. Boxes.
- Be a resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
How Do I Change My Ohio Registered Agent?
File a Statutory Agent Update form with the Ohio Secretary of State. It costs $25 to change your Ohio registered agent.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Ohio Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need An Ohio Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Ohio?
We accept and scan all of our Ohio clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in North Canton, OH.
Can I Use Your Ohio Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Ohio Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Ohio?
You should hire us first and then form your Ohio LLC or corporation because the Ohio Secretary of State will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your OH registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Ohio Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Ohio registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For An Ohio Registered Agent?
- You can do an Ohio business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the OH registered agent name and registered office street address.
NOTE: If you want to legally notify someone through their Ohio registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Ohio Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Ohio registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Ohio Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Ohio registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Ohio registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with state corporate compliance.