Processing. Please Wait.

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

How to Change Your Registered Agent in Maine

To change your registered agent in Maine, you must complete and file a Statement of Change form with the Maine Secretary of State, Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions. The Maine Statement of Change must be submitted by mail or in person and costs $35 to file. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your Maine Statement of Change of Registered Agent paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.

Free PDF Download

Download the Maine Statement of Change form here

Do It Yourself Online

Sign up for a free account and fill out the Maine Statement of Change here

Maine Registered Agent Service

$125 Per Year
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 607 clients on Google

Steps to Changing Your Maine Registered Agent

If you would like to change your registered agent in Maine, you will need to complete the following three general steps:

  1. Select a new Maine registered agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
  2. Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
  3. Complete and submit your Maine Statement of Change to the Maine Secretary of State, Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions.

What are the options and different ways you can change your Maine registered agent or clerk?

Maine business entities that have changed their registered agent or corporate clerk are required to report the change to the Maine Secretary of State, Bureau of Corporations, Elections, and Commissions (SOS) within 30 days.

The process for changing your Maine registered agent is seriously overcomplicated. For one thing, domestic corporations don’t have a registered agent. Domestic corporations have a “clerk.” But foreign corporations, domestic and foreign LLCs, etc., all have a registered agent. And because having two words that mean the same thing is fun, Maine also has commercial and non-commercial registered agents/clerks. (The only difference here is that some registered agents/clerks have chosen to be listed as “commercial” by the SOS). What do all these designations mean for you? It means there are six different forms to choose from when you change your Maine registered agent. But choosing the right form is the hard part. Once you know which form to file, you can just type your information and then print the form. Submit the signed original change of agent/clerk form and the attached Filer Contact Cover Letter to the Maine SOS by mail or in person.

You can request expedited processing by checking the box on the cover letter and including the additional fee. If you want to expedite mailed documents, write “Expedited Service” in the lower right hand corner of the envelope. You can also request expedited processing at the corporations division filing counter from 9-4 on business days. You can pay the expedite fee in cash or include a separate check or debit/credit card authorization for each request. Checks should be payable to the Maine Secretary of State. You may pay for filing fees with your Visa, Discover, or MasterCard if you include a Credit Card Payment Voucher with your form.

Domestic LLCs can change registered agent information right on the amendment form, but domestic corporations cannot change the clerk on the amendment form. Corporations and LLCs can’t change the Maine registered agent or clerk on the annual report form. That information is pre-populated on the Maine annual report.

To ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to a full stop, check out our Maine registered agent resignation page.

Changing Your Maine Registered Agent FAQs

How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Maine?

It costs $35 to change your Maine registered agent. The price is the same for all commercial and noncommercial registered agents and clerks.

There is an additional $50 expedite fee for 24 hour processing and a $100 fee for immediate processing.

Don’t want to pay the change of agent fee? Switch your registered agent to Northwest, and we’ll pay the change of agent fee to switch to us! Just sign up for registered agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!

How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Maine?

Normal processing of corporate filings takes 5-10 business days.
You can choose 24 hour or immediate processing for an additional expedited service fee.

How do I contact the Maine Secretary of State?

Mail or deliver documents and fees to:

Secretary of State
Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions
101 State House Station
Augusta, ME
Phone: 207-624-7752
Fax: 207-287-5874

Can I be my own registered agent?

Yes, it is possible to be your own registered agent in Maine. Note, however, that you’ll need to be available to accept documents during regular business hours, and your name and address will become part of the permanent public record of your business.

What form do you file to change your registered agent in Maine?

The form you file with the Maine SOS will depend on the type of entity as well as the type of registered agent/clerk. If you choose a commercial registered agent/clerk, you will need to include the CRA number assigned to that registered agent/clerk by the Maine SOS. This information is available on the SOS website (see link below).

LLCs (domestic or foreign):

  1. MLLC-3-NCRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Noncommercial Registered Agent


  1. MLLC-3-CRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Commercial Registered Agent

Corporations (domestic):

  1. MBCA-3-NCRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Noncommercial Clerk


  1. MBCA-3-CRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Commercial Clerk

Corporations (foreign):

  1. MBCA-12D-NCRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Noncommercial Registered Agent or
  2. MBCA-12D-CRA, Statement of Appointment or Change of Commercial Registered Agent

The change of commercial registered agent/clerk forms are in your online account immediately, when you sign up for Maine registered agent service with Northwest. Then all you have to do is complete the form, sign it, and submit it to the SOS.

Maine SOS – Forms:

Maine Corporations Division Forms

Maine commercial registered agents and clerks:

Maine Commercial Registered Agents Directory

Expect More From a Registered Agent

We have a team of Maine experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the Maine Secretary of State requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Statement of Change form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.

  1. Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
  2. Instant Maine forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Maine.
  3. State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
  4. We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
  5. We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
  6. And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.

When You Want More