Maine Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Maine registered agent is any resident or business that maintains a registered office (physical location) in Maine and is willing to accept service of process (notice of a lawsuit) and official mail on the behalf of a business. Maine registered agents are sometimes referred to as Commercial Clerks. Once the registered agent has accepted the legal notice on behalf of a Maine company, it is their responsibility to forward the notice to the responsible parties (the business owners). Put simply, registered agents provide a reliable way to contact any business in Maine.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Maine Registered Agents:
- Get Maine Registered Agent Service
- What Do Maine Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements For Maine Registered Agents
- How To Be Your Own Maine Registered Agent
- How Do I Change My Maine Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Maine Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Maine Registered Agents Do?
Maine registered agents, at minimum, accept documents on behalf of your business at a specified location in the state (known as a registered office). and get them to you.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are The Legal Requirements For Maine Registered Agents?
Under Maine statute (Title 5: Chapter 6-A: Model Registered Agents Act, §114), a registered agent (aka clerk) is responsible for the following duties:
- Receiving documents on behalf of your business.
- Providing notices to your business when it receives service of process or official mail.
- Being available during normal business hours at a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in-state where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail.
- Keeping its registered office and contact information updated so your business can be reliably contacted.
Note: Maine uses the term commercial clerk for the person or business that accepts service of process for a domestic corporation and uses the term registered agent for other business entities. Commercial clerks in Maine serve the same function as a registered agent.
How To Be Your Own Maine Registered Agent
You can be the registered agent for your Maine business. As the registered agent, you are responsible for accepting official notices and service of process for your business. The registered agent system in Maine is more complicated than most states. Maine distinguishes between commercial and non-commercial registered agents/clerks. The difference between commercial and non-commercial is that some businesses have chosen to be listed as “commercial” by the Secretary of State. Individuals can provide registered agent services in a non-commercial capacity. The registered office must be a street address where process may be personally served on the registered agent.
How do I become my own registered agent?
It is easy to designate yourself as a Maine registered agent when you form your corporation or LLC. Just list your own name and address on the Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Formation that you file with the Maine Secretary of State. You can download the Articles of Incorporation or Certificate of Formation from the Maine Secretary of State’s website. Write in your name as the name of the registered agent or clerk. Then write in your street address as the registered office. You may write in your mailing address if you have one that is different from your street address. You need to send the signed original to the Secretary of State.
What if I already have a registered agent?
The state has a ton of forms to choose from when changing your Maine registered agent. There are forms for domestic corporations, foreign corporations, and LLCs. Make sure you choose the right form for your entity to switch to a non-commercial registered agent or clerk. When filling in the form, first check a box at the top of the form to indicate that you are changing the registered agent and address. Then just type your information, print, and sign the form. Send the signed original change of agent/clerk form, the attached Filer Contact Cover Letter, and $35 fee to the Maine SOS by mail or in person.
Once your documents are filed by the state, you are your Maine LLC or Maine corporation’s registered agent. All service of process and official mail will be sent to the registered office listed. It is very important that you comply with the requirements for a registered agent and registered office.
How Do I Change My Maine Registered Agent?
You have to file the Statement of Change form for your entity type. Submit the signed original change of agent/clerk form and the attached Filer Contact Cover Letter to the Maine SOS by mail or in person. It can get a little complicated, for more information check out our Change Maine Registered Agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local Portland office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Northwest Phone Service: We know your business needs don’t stop at formation. That’s why we now offer Northwest Phone Service, a feature-packed virtual phone line that allows you to call and text your customers from any device. Our in-house Phone Service is just $9 monthly, with the first 60 days included FREE of charge when you hire us as your registered agent.
- Free Credit Card Processing Consultation: Considering accepting credit and debit card payments? We can help you sort that out. When you hire us, you have the option to sign up for a complimentary in-house call with our card industry specialists who work with processors to negotiate low rates and better contracts on your behalf. Check out our Payment Processing Service page to learn more.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Maine Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Maine Registered Agent?
- Maine requires that all registered businesses appoint a registered agent.
- Your business registration filing will be rejected by the Maine Division of Corporations if you do not appoint a registered agent.
- Essentially, the Maine registered agent requirement exists so the government and general public have a dependable method in place to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Maine?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Maine. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Maine registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Maine?
We accept and scan all of our Maine clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Portland, ME.
Will You Let Me Know When My Maine Annual Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Maine, you’ll need to complete your ME annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Maine Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Maine Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Maine?
You should hire us first and then form your Maine LLC or corporation because the state will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do I Find A Maine Company's Registered Agent?
If you want to deliver service of process or certified mail to a business in main, just send it to the company’s registered agent at the registered office address.
- You can do a Maine business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
How To Order Maine Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Maine registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Maine registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Maine registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Maine corporate compliance.