How to Change Your Resident Agent in Puerto Rico
To change your resident agent in Puerto Rico, you must complete and file a Certificate of Change of Resident Agent form with the Puerto Rico Department of State, Division of Corporations. The Puerto Rico Certificate of Change of Resident Agent must be submitted in person and costs $60 to file for corporations, $80 for LLCs, and $4 for nonprofits. When you hire Northwest to be your new resident agent, we will file your Puerto Rico Certificate of Change of Resident Agent paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.
Certificate of Change of Resident Agent
Change your Puerto Rico Resident Agent by filing a Certificate of Change of Resident Agent.
Do It Yourself Online
Our free account and tools will walk you through changing your resident agent in Puerto Rico. All for free.
Change Your Puerto Rico Resident Agent$125 Per Year
Steps to Changing Your Puerto Rico Resident Agent
If you would like to change your resident agent in Puerto Rico, you will need to complete the following three general steps:
- Select a new Puerto Rico resident agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
- Notify your former resident agent that you’re moving on.
- Complete and submit your Puerto Rico Certificate of Change of Resident Agent form to the Puerto Rico Department of State, Division of Corporations.
What you need to change resident agents in Puerto Rico:
- Filing fee ($80 for LLCs; $60 for corporations; $4 for nonprofits)
Note: Puerto Rico does not have a unique option to change your Puerto Rico resident agent. To do this, you must make an amendment to your business entity online on the Department of State’s website. Once you begin the amendment, you will be given the option of selecting the type of amendment you’d like to make. In order to complete the amendment filing, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Filer name, address, contact information
- The information to be amended
- Payment (you can by credit card or electronic check (ACH)
To ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to a full stop, check out our Puerto Rico registered agent resignation page.
Changing Your Puerto Rico Resident Agent FAQs
What are the different ways you can change your Puerto Rico registered agent?
Unless you want to visit the Department of State in Old San Juan in person, there is only one way to make a change to your Puerto Rico registered agent: you need to make an amendment on the Department of State’s website. Puerto Rico does not provide forms to make the changes, BUT filing online is fast and easy, so at least the one option is a good one.
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Puerto Rico?
The cost of changing your registered agent via amendments varies by entity type. The fee is $60 for corporations; $80 for LLCs; $4 for nonprofits.
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Puerto Rico?
Once you finalize your payment, the Puerto Rico Department of State will send you an email confirming the change of agent amendment was successful. The email will provide a summary of the transactions completed and will serve as your certificate of amendment.
To learn more about making amendments in Puerto Rico, see either of the pages below:
Puerto Rico corporation amendments
Puerto Rico LLC amendments
Expect More From a Resident Agent
We have a team of Puerto Rico experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the Puerto Rico Department of State requires. As your resident agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Certificate of Change of Resident Agent and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant Puerto Rico forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Puerto Rico.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.