How to Reinstate an Iowa LLC
To revive an Iowa LLC, you’ll need to file the Application for Reinstatement with the Iowa Secretary of State, which you can do online or by submitting a paper form. You’ll also have to fix the issues that led to your Iowa LLC’s dissolution and pay a $5 filing fee, plus the fees for any late biennial reports. Below, we provide a free, step-by-step guide to reinstating your Iowa LLC.
Revive Or Reinstate An Iowa LLC
The Iowa Secretary of State has the power to administratively dissolve your Iowa LLC under the following circumstances:
- Failing to file biennial reports for 60 days.
- Failing to appoint and maintain a registered agent or to properly file paperwork to change registered agent information.
- LLC duration expires.
In order to get back into business again, you can apply for reinstatement. To revive or reinstate your Iowa LLC, you’ll need to submit the following to the Iowa Secretary of State:
- Application for Reinstatement
- Statement of Change to change/update your registered agent, if needed
- Any delinquent biennial reports
- All fees and penalties
You’ll also need to make sure you’re current on taxes.
What information do I need for the Iowa Application for Reinstatement?
To file the Application for Reinstatement online, you’ll need a Fast Track Filings account with the Secretary of State. You’ll need to list the name of your LLC, the date of administrative dissolution, a new name (if needed), and your federal tax ID number (EIN or SSN for some single-member LLCs). You’ll also need an electronic signature from someone authorized to act on the LLC’s behalf, such as a member, manager, or registered agent.
How do I file the Iowa Application for Reinstatement?
Iowa now allows businesses to apply for reinstatement online through the Iowa Secretary of State website. Here’s how:
- Log into your Fast Track Filing account.
- Click the Business Filings tab and select File a Document.
- Scroll down the page to Existing Entities and select Application for Reinstatement.
- Search for your business name or business number.
- Complete the online Application for Reinstatement with your business name, date of dissolution, and tax ID number.
- Select your title and type your full name to sign the application.
- Click Review and Pay when ready.
- Review the information you entered and pay the $5 filing fee.
- Iowa Workforce Development will review your application and inform you by email whether the application was accepted or rejected. If rejected, you’ll need to contact the SOS office.
- If accepted, the email will include a link to continue filing. You can also go to your Fast Track Filings account to resume filing.
- Once you click Continue Filing, you’ll be taken to your account, where you’ll be shown the biennial reports you need to file. You’ll also have the option fo file a Change of Registered Agent/Office form.
- Next you’ll be taken to a final Review Page. Click on the + sign next to each filing to mark it as reviewed.
- Click Proceed to Payment and pay the filing fees.
- You’ll receive an email when your reinstatement has been approved.
Note: If your LLC was dissolved due to the duration expiring, you must file the paper form. To get the paper application form, you’ll need to contact the Iowa Secretary of State’s office and have it sent to you.
How much will it cost to revive an Iowa LLC?
The filing fee for an Application for Reinstatement is only $5.00. If you’re behind on biennial reports, you’ll have to pay to file those ($45 for paper filing, $30 online).
Can you change your registered agent on the Iowa Reinstatement?
When you apply for reinstatement online, you’ll be given the option to submit a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent at the same time. If filing by paper, you can change your Iowa registered agent by attaching a Statement of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent form.
How long do you have to revive an Iowa LLC?
You can revive a business in Iowa at any time. However, after five years, your name becomes available for other companies to adopt.
What if another company has adopted my name?
If another company adopted your name while your Iowa LLC was dissolved, you won’t be able to use it anymore. You can change your name on the Iowa Application for Reinstatement.
Where do I submit my Iowa Application for Reinstatement?
The easiest way to submit your Application of Reinstatement is online. However, if your LLC was dissolved due to the duration expiring, you’ll need to file by mail, fax, or in person.
Fast Track Filing
Mailed and In-Person Filings:
Business Services Division
Lucas Building, 1st Floor
Des Moines, IA 50319