Montana Registered Agent
REAL TIME SERVICE
Instantly talk to our Corporate Guides™ or use your online account where you’ll find:
- Docs we get for you
- Montana business forms to file
- Montana filing tips
- MT company management system
With Northwest Registered Agent, what you see is what you get. We offer:
- Same price every year
- No extra fees
- No up-sells
- WE will be your registered agent
- Use Our Address - Not Yours
- Local Document Scans in Real Time
- Local Corporate Guides™ In Every State
What is a Montana registered agent?
A Montana registered agent is a resident or company that maintains a physical address in the state and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a business. Montana businesses appoint a registered agent on their formation documents (i.e. articles of incorporation/organization).
Registered Agent Service in Montana
What do Montana registered agents do?
- Accept documents on behalf of your business in Montana and forward them to you.
- MT registered agents need to have a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state of Montana where they can accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location if called a registered office.
- Keep normal business hours.
Who needs a registered agent in Montana?
Why do I need a Montana registered agent?
- Registered agents are required by Montana for all registered businesses.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so there is a reliable way to contact your business.
What do Montana registered agents do?
Your Montana registered agent should provide tools to help you maintain your business.
- Montana registered agents must have a physical address in Montana.
- Accept important legal documents on your business’ behalf—and get them to you quickly.
Montana registered agent requirements:
According to the Montana Model Registered Agents Act (§ 35-7-114), a registered agent must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state. No P.O. Boxes.
- A MT registered agent must be a Montana resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
Note: If a company’s Montana registered agent cannot be served after a reasonable attempt, the company’s secretary will be served at the company’s principal address. If your secretary cannot be reached, you may never know you were served.
How do I change my registered agent to Northwest?
- File a Registered Agent Statement of Change form with the Montana secretary of state.
- The change form is available instantly if you place an order with us.
- It’s a simple process, but if you’d like more specifics, visit our change Montana registered agent page.
Why your life will be better if you hire us:
- You will probably have trouble with your filing. Why? Because Montana business registration filings are confusing. But we do them every day and when you hire us, as part of our MT registered agent service, we’ll instantly provide you with filing instructions, tips, order sheets, and the forms you need to file.
- Call us! We’re here to help walk you through the process of starting your new business. When you have a question, just call. The people who answer our phones don’t read from scripts or try to sell you anything—we’re just here to help.
- We have the most sophisticated business compliance reminder system in the industry. After forming an LLC or corporation in Montana, you’ll have ongoing requirements like the Montana annual report, which is due to the secretary of state each year by April 15. We offer complete corporate services in Montana with our registered agent service. You can always see upcoming report dates for every state where we’re your registered agent. Your reminders are always based off your real corporate data, the same data the state sees. And if legislative laws change and affect your business, you’ll know about it, because we do our research. We do all the work to provide you with not only a reminder, but the forms you need to file (LLC forms, corporation forms, annual report forms, etc.) already prepopulated with your information on them—all at no additional charge.
- Free tools. We don’t simply send you a bill for providing registered agent service—we offer all the corporate legal forms you need to maintain your LLC, nonprofit, charity, corporation, LLP, or any other type of Montana business. With our service, you need only enter your information once, and use that data to populate all kinds of corporate forms like annual meetings, amendments, and new registrations in additional states.
What makes Northwest different from other registered agent services?
- We are the only national registered agent that locally scans everything to you in real time. Through our Corporate Service Capsule, we’ll scan everything to you in real time. Your Montana registered agent service is going to be your point of contact for serious legal notices. We maintain our own registered offices in each state and when you hire us for Montana registered agent service, we’ll scan everything from our office in Whitefish, MT. And we don’t just email you a copy of your notice. Our service utilizes the most sophisticated calendaring response and tracking system of any Montana registered agent service to help make sure you, and whoever you want to be notified, you don’t just get a notice but that you’re actually reviewing the documents.
- Privacy. When the general public or a government official wants to know who owns your company, your registered agent is who they’ll contact. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data private, trained staff who will not give away your information, and in-house data security professionals who stress test our own systems regularly. We also prosecute those who try to hack our system.
- This isn’t just a job to us, it’s our passion. When you hire us for service, you’re actually hiring Northwest Registered Agent. Registered agent service isn’t a line item on a profit and loss sheet. It’s not a dividend payment to our owners. It’s not an idea we hope will work out. And we are definitely not some mega corporation grabbing at every last penny we can get our hands on.
Montana Registered Agent FAQ
What’s your Montana registered office like?
We scan all documents locally from our office in downtown Whitefish, MT.
How will you get my legal notices to me?
We scan everything in real time. This registered agent infographic shows how it works.
Can I send my mail to your Montana registered office?
- No, we are not a mail forwarding service, but we’ll try to help you if we can. Give us a call!
- The postal service might not deliver your mail to us if you don’t have a lease at our office.
- If we happen to get mail for you, however, we’ll scan it to you in real time.
Should I use your registered office address in Montana on my filing?
Your privacy is important to us. We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our address for everything. So when you do your filing with the state, you can keep your own address off public records.
How do Montana registered agents get service of process?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified of an event. It doesn’t matter if the company sees the documents or even gets them from their registered agent. You were notified if your registered agent signs for the documents; this is a responsibility we take seriously.
- A sheriff, process server, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court stating that they “served” us.
How do I find a Montana corporation or LLCs registered agent?
Send a certified letter to the registered agent’s office address if you would like to legally notify someone through their Montana registered agent service.
- You can start with a Montana business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the MT registered agent name and registered office street address.
Should I hire a registered agent in Montana before or after I do my filing?
First, sign up for registered agent service and then do your business registration filing with the secretary of state. The state won’t allow you to form an LLC or corporation without a Montana registered agent. Plus, you’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you sign up.
How does Northwest’s Montana registered agent service work?
- You sign up online (you’ll find the signup at the top of this page).
- After you make your business registration filing with the Montana Secretary of State, we’ll become your registered agent.
- We collect the first year’s $125 registered agent fee up front.
- About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Montana registered agent service. If you want to cancel then, you can easily do so.
- We make it easy to add registered agent service for other states online.
- Your online account is the place to go—not just for registered agent service or to pay a bill—for keeping up with corporate paperwork formalities for your Montana business.
Info your MT registered agent should help you know and understand:
As your Montana registered agent, we will receive your annual report notice every year. These will come in January or February, and are due April 15th. We will email and mail these to you and make sure you keep your company in good standing with the secretary of state. We also will receive any service of process or formal documents on your behalf and send you a real time email scan of what we receive. There is no extra charge for any of this.
If you are going to form an LLC or corporation with the Montana Secretary of State, you will need your Montana registered agent to sign your filing. The signatures do not have to be an original signature. The forms are pre-signed in your online account.
Normal filings take about 4-6 business days to process. The Montana Secretary of State offers a $20 expedite service which gets done in 1-2 days, and a 1 hour expedite for $100. We have an account with the state, so if you need something done in 1 hour, we can fax file and pay the $100 expedite, and you’ll have verification in 1 hour. This can be handy for contractors because a lot of big bids require you to prove registration with the state before you can win the bid. You will get an acknowledgment letter back in 1-2 weeks, but you can look yourself up online right away. All Montana state agencies except the Liquor Commission go by the online database.
Annual reports for Montana non profits are due April 15th of every year cost $15 and can be filed online.