Processing. Please Wait.

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

How to Change Your Registered Agent in Montana

To change your registered agent in Montana, you must complete and file a Statement of Change of Registered Agent form with the Montana Secretary of State. The Montana Statement of Change must be submitted by online and has no fee to file. However, you can pay $20 for one day service or $100 for one-hour processing. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your Montana Statement of Change of Registered Agent paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.

Free PDF Download

Download the Montana Statement of Change of Registered Agent here

Do It Yourself Online

Sign up for a free account and fill out the Montana Statement of Change of Registered Agent here

Montana Registered Agent Service

$125 Per Year
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 607 clients on Google

Steps to Changing Your Montana Registered Agent

If you would like to change your registered agent in Montana, you will need to complete the following three general steps:

  1. Select a new Montana registered agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
  2. Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
  3. Complete and submit your Montana Statement of Change to the Montana Secretary of State.

How do you change your Montana registered agent?

To change your Montana registered agent, you submit the completed Statement of Change of Registered Agent and/or Registered Office form to the Secretary of State. This is done online.

Your registered agent in Montana can also be changed when you file your Annual Report, which is also filed online. Reminder postcards are sent to businesses in February, and Annual Reports can be filed anytime after that until the April 15th deadline.

Only “authorized individuals” are allowed to file documents on behalf of your company. When you hire Northwest Registered Agent, we can file the Statement of Change on your behalf, but we must be granted authority first.

For the steps to take to ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to an end, see our Montana registered agent resignation page.

Who has authority to file a Statement of Change?

When you form a Montana business, the Secretary of State will issue an Activation Code for your company. This code grants the authority to file documents with the SOS on behalf of your business.

If you formed your business yourself, then you will have this Activation Code and can make the change yourself on the SOS website. Or you can grant authority to us to make the change by using a standard form letter that we will provide to you when you hire us. This letter states that you are granting us authority to file the Statement of Change and lists your Activation Code.

If your current registered agent has the authority to file for your business, then they can grant us authority to file the Statement of Change.

We cannot change your Montana registered agent without proper authority.

Changing Your Montana Registered Agent FAQs

How much does it cost to change your registered agent in Montana?

There is no fee required to change your registered agent in Montana.

You may request one day service for $20 or one-hour processing for $100.

How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in Montana?

Standard processing is 3 to 7 business days. In April, when Annual Reports are due, processing can take as long as 10 days.

You can expedite processing to 24 hours for $20 or 1 hour for $100.

I own an anonymous MT LLC. How do I change my registered agent?

If you hired a company (like NW) to form your LLC in Montana anonymously, you will need to prove that you are the proper owner of your LLC in order to change your registered agent. The Secretary of State will not recognize your authority automatically, because your name is not listed on your formation documents registered with the SOS.

To change your registered agent, you will need to submit to us your initial resolutions or operating agreement. These documents will prove ownership of your LLC, and the SOS will issue an Activation Code that can then be used to authorize us to file the Statement of Change.

How do I contact the Montana Secretary of State?

Mailing Address:
Montana Secretary of State
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620?2801

Physical Address:
State Capitol Building
1301 E. 6th Avenue
Helena, MT 59601

Phone: (406) 444?3665
Fax: (406) 444?3976

Montana Registered Agent Resources:

Montana Secretary of State
Montana Annual Report

Expect More From a Registered Agent

We have a team of Montana experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the Montana Secretary of State requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Statement of Change form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.

  1. Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
  2. Instant Montana forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in Montana.
  3. State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
  4. We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
  5. We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
  6. And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.

When You Want More