Montana Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Montana registered agent is a resident or company that maintains a physical address in the state and is willing to accept legal documents on behalf of a business. Montana businesses appoint a registered agent on their formation documents (i.e. articles of incorporation/organization).
For your company’s registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Montana Registered Agents:
What Do Montana Registered Agents Do?
According to the Montana Model Registered Agents Act (§ 35-7-114), a registered agent must:
- Be able to accept legal documents.
- Have a physical, registered office address located within the state. No P.O. Boxes.
- A MT registered agent must be a Montana resident or a business that provides registered agent services.
However, the right registered agent service can also do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
How Do I Change My Montana Registered Agent?
Time for a new registered agent? In Montana, only someone who is authorized to file documents on behalf of your company can change your Montana registered agent. When you hire Northwest, we can file the Registered Agent Statement of Change for you, but we must be authorized to do so first. Once we have been granted the authority, we will file the Statement of Change online immediately.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service. But why? At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local Montana office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: For every client and every service, we minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. We never sell your data. We list our own business address on public docs to better keep your personal info safe. Our commitment to privacy puts our clients first.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: As your registered agent, we automatically accept and scan your state and legal mail. Sometimes, however, we receive personal or business mail from clients or companies trying to connect with your business. We’ll accept and scan these for you as well—up to 10 documents a year FREE. We’ll also scan additional mail at a per doc rate of $15.
- Unlimited Mail Forwarding: Expecting much more business mail? For $40 a month, we also offer unlimited Montana mail forwarding. Our unlimited option includes a Montana business address with a unique suite number—great for listing on your website, establishing a business presence, or giving a home or online business a more professional appearance.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Montana Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Montana Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Note: If a company’s Montana registered agent cannot be served after a reasonable attempt, the company’s secretary will be served at the company’s principal address. If your secretary cannot be reached, you may never know you were served.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Montana?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Montana. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Montana registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Montana?
We scan all documents locally from our office in downtown Whitefish, MT.
Should I Use Your Registered Office Address In Montana On My Filing?
Your privacy is important to us. We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our address for everything. So when you do your filing with the state, you can keep your own address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Montana Office?
Yes! Just sign up for our unlimited Montana Mail Forwarding option ($40/month). You’ll get a unique suite number and a Montana business address you can use for mail, advertising and more.
Don’t need a unique suite number? Our Montana registered agent service comes with free limited mail forwarding. We’ll list our business address (no unique suite number) on your public docs to better protect your privacy. And, we’ll scan the occasional business mail we receive—up to 10 documents a year, for FREE. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Should I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Montana?
First, sign up for registered agent service and then do your business registration filing with the secretary of state. The state won’t allow you to form an LLC or corporation without a Montana registered agent. Plus, you’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you sign up.
How Do Montana Registered Agents Receive Service Of Process?
Serving a registered agent is legal proof that you were notified of an event. It doesn’t matter if the company sees the documents or even gets them from their registered agent. You were notified if your registered agent signs for the documents; this is a responsibility we take seriously.
- A sheriff, process server, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us legal papers (service of process).
- The process server then gives an affidavit to the court stating that they “served” us.
How Do I Search For A Montana Registered Agent?
Send a certified letter to the registered agent’s office address if you would like to legally notify someone through their Montana registered agent service.
- You can start with a Montana business name search on the state’s website
- Type in the company name you are trying to look up.
- Look at the MT registered agent name and registered office street address.
How To Order Montana Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year’s fee for registered agent service up front.
For new businesses, once your business registration filing with the Montana Secretary of State is complete, we’ll become your Montana registered agent.
About a year later, we’ll send an invoice for another year of Montana registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
It’s easy to add registered agent services in other states if your business expands. We have offices in every state. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Montana registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with corporate paperwork formalities like the Montana annual report.