How to Change Your Registered Agent in New Jersey
To change your registered agent in New Jersey, you must complete and file a Certificate of Change – Registered Name or Address, or Both for LLCs or a Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent for corporations form with the New Jersey Division of Revenue, Corporate Filing. The New Jersey Certificate of Change must be submitted by mail, by fax, in person, or online and costs $25 to file. When you hire Northwest to be your new registered agent, we will file your New Jersey Certificate of Change paperwork for you and pay the state filing fee.
Free PDF Download
Download the New Jersey Certificate of Change here
Do It Yourself Online
Sign up for a free account and fill out the New Jersey Certificate of Change here
New Jersey Registered Agent Service$125 Per Year
Steps to Changing Your New Jersey Registered Agent
If you would like to change your registered agent in New Jersey, you will need to complete the following three general steps:
- Select a new New Jersey registered agent. If you hire Northwest for our registered agent service, you can just as well stop reading now. We’ll handle the state filing for you and pay your filing fee.
- Notify your former registered agent that you’re moving on.
- Complete and submit your New Jersey Certificate of Change to the New Jersey Division of Revenue, Corporate Filing.
What are the options and different ways you can change your New Jersey registered agent?
The agency responsible for business registration in New Jersey is the Department of the Treasury, Division of Revenue. The Division of Revenue allows entities to change their registered agent online, by fax, by mail, or in person. There are very specific filing requirements for each method.
Changing your New Jersey registered agent online is easy and fast if you know your way around the website. You can file the change of agent online by visiting the New Jersey Division of Revenue website (see link below). You will see an icon that says “I WANT TO.” Just select “Change My Registered Agent” from the drop down list. You will need to log in to change your agent. Just enter your New Jersey business ID number, business type, and date of formation. If you do not know any of this information, you can find out by contacting the Division of Revenue or doing a Business Entity Status Search for your New Jersey corporation or LLC. When you change your registered agent online, you can pay by e-check or credit card.
You can also change your registered agent when you file the New Jersey annual report online. There is an additional $25 fee to do so.
MAIL OR OVER-THE-COUNTER:
New Jersey change of registered agent forms are available on the New Jersey Division of Revenue website or in your online account when you sign up for registered agent service with Northwest. There are forms for each type of entity. The New Jersey Division of Revenue requires all filings to be typed. Mailed and walked in documents must be originals. You need to file the change of agent form in duplicate, unless the entity is a nonprofit corporation, then you must file in triplicate. Although you may draft your own documents, the Division of Revenue recommends using their forms to reduce your odds of rejection.
If you file the paper form by mail or in person, include a cover letter with:
- The name of firm or individual submitting the form;
- Method of payment:
- Credit card number, cardholder name, address, and expiration date,
- Division of Revenue depository account number, or
- Description of the filing (change of registered agent);
- If filing in person, choose expedited or same day processing;
- The entity’s name;
- The entity’s business ID; and
- Return instructions:
- Include a return address, or
- If you delivered documents by express or courier and you want them returned that way, include completed air bill listing yourself as the sender and bill-to party
Make checks payable to the Treasurer, State of New Jersey. The Division of Revenue does not accept cash.
Find the right change of agent form for your business entity on the New Jersey Division of Revenue website or in your Northwest Registered Agent online client account. The New Jersey Division of Revenue requires all filings to be typed. Complete the form, attach a fax coversheet, and fax it to the division.
Your fax coversheet must be entitled: DIVISION OF REVENUE FACSIMILE FILING SERVICE REQUEST and must include:
- The name of the firm or individual filing the form;
- Date of submission;
- Method of payment:
- Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card number, name, address, and expiration; or
- Division of Revenue depository account number
- Description of the service requested (change of registered agent);
- Choice of 8.5 hour or same day expedited service;
- Business name;
- Total number of pages (including coversheet); and
- Fax number to fax filed (or rejected) documents back to
- Fax the form and the coversheet to the New Jersey Division of Revenue at 609-984-6851.
If your document is accepted, it will be stamped “filed” and faxed back to the filer with a receipt. If it is rejected, the unfiled document is returned with a rejection notice and the fee is refunded.
For the steps to take to ensure your former agent’s service and obligations come to an end, see our New Jersey registered agent resignation page.
Change Your New Jersey Registered Agent FAQs
How much does it cost to change your registered agent in New Jersey?
There is a $25 filing fee to change the registered agent for a New Jersey corporation or LLC online, by mail, by fax, or in person.
If you file over-the-counter, there is an additional 8.5 business hour expedite fee. The fee is $15 for corporations or $25 for LLCs.
If you fax the change of agent form, you pay the $25 filing fee, an expedite fee, and a $1 per page fax back fee for returning filed documents. The additional expedite fee for 8.5 business hour processing is $15 for corps/nonprofits or $25 for LLCs and LLPs. The expedite fee for same day processing of faxed documents is $50.
Don’t want to pay the change of agent fee? Switch your registered agent to Northwest, and we’ll pay the change of agent fee to switch to us! Just sign up for registered agent service. You’ll see the pre-populated change of agent form in your online account. Fill it out with your company info, sign it, and email or mail it to us, and we’ll get it filed with the state. It’s that simple!
How long does it take the state to process and complete the change of registered agent in New Jersey?
Mailed in documents take the longest to process and return. Expect 3-10 business days for Division of Revenue processing plus an additional 3-6 business days for mail time each way. If you include a self addressed stamped envelope it can help keep processing time to a minimum.
Over the counter expedited processing takes 8.5 business hours.
Fax filing is expedited so you can choose 8.5 business hour or same day processing (if you submit by 12:30 on a business day, processing is done by 5:00).
If you change your agent online, it will be reflected after one business day.
How do I contact the New Jersey Secretary of State?
Mail or USPS overnight:
New Jersey Division of Revenue
PO Box 308
Trenton, NJ 08625-0308
Over the counter, express mail, or courier:
33 West State Street, 5th Floor
Trenton, NJ 08608-1214
Fax filings: (609) 984-6851
What form do you file to change your registered agent in New Jersey?
The New Jersey Division of Revenue forms are in your online account immediately, when you sign up for New Jersey registered agent service with Northwest.
The Division of Revenue has a change of registered agent form for corporations and a different form for LLCs. New Jersey LLCs should file form L-122, Certificate of Change-Registered Name or Address, or Both. New Jersey corporations will file form C-104G, Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent.
You may also change your New Jersey registered agent when you file an amendment to your certificate of formation or incorporation. For more info, see our New Jersey amendment pages.
New Jersey Registered Agent Resources:
New Jersey Division of Revenue Homepage
New Jersey Division of Revenue Forms
Expect More From a Registered Agent
We have a team of New Jersey experts that know the in-and-outs of all business filings and what the New Jersey Division of Revenue, Corporate Filing requires. As your registered agent we don’t wait around on any legal correspondence we receive on your behalf, we immediately scan it to your secure online portfolio so you can view it anytime, anywhere. Switch to Northwest Registered Agent today and we will file your Certificate of Change form and pay your filing fee, all in less than a business day.
- Instant registered agent services annual price: $125.
- Instant New Jersey forms located directly in your online account to make a filing in New Jersey.
- State resources in your registered agent service account, with self-filing instructions to help you.
- We send multiple annual report reminders, and you can also track your due dates in your online account.
- We locally scan ‘service of process’ and all documents to you in real-time for no added cost.
- And, most importantly…We’re just not annoying™.