New Jersey Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your New Jersey Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, and a business address. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in New Jersey? We'll explain the New Jersey Division of Revenue’s requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in New Jersey.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is a New Jersey Registered Agent?
A New Jersey registered agent is a person or company that you designate to receive legal mail (like service of process) on behalf of your business. Registered agents exist to provide an official and reliable way to contact your business.
If your business is ever served with a lawsuit, the process server will deliver the paperwork directly to your registered agent. At that point, your business is legally considered “served.” The registered agent should then forward you your mail, quickly and securely.
According to the New Jersey Corporations and Associations Act (14A:4-1. & 15A:4-1), whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, the state of New Jersey requires the same from a registered agent:
- The NJ registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- NJ registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in New Jersey).
- The registered agent must accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
- If an individual is appointed as NJ registered agent, he or she must be at least 18 years of age.
How Do I Change My New Jersey Registered Agent?
Changing your registered agent is a straightforward process:
- You’ll file a change of agent form with the New Jersey Division of Revenue.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly. We’ll even pay and file the change of agent filing for you.
- It’s a simple change, but for more info, see our guide on how to change your registered agent in New Jersey.
Why Northwest Is the Best Registered Agent in New Jersey
Our New Jersey Registered Agent Service includes the tools you need to keep your business running without a hitch. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, you get:
- Same-Day Scans: We scan your legal docs the same day we receive them and reach out if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We list our business address on public docs to keep your personal info safe. And unlike those other guys, we never sell your data.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide support for all your business questions.
And if you want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How to Order New Jersey Registered Agent Service
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year’s fee for registered agent service up front.
For new businesses, once your business registration filing with the New Jersey Division of Revenue is complete, we’ll become your New Jersey registered agent.
About a year later, we’ll send an invoice for another year of New Jersey registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
It’s easy to add registered agent services in other states if your business expands. We have offices in every state. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for New Jersey registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with corporate paperwork formalities like the New Jersey annual report.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
New Jersey Registered Agent FAQs
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In New Jersey?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in New Jersey. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a New Jersey registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Why Should I Hire A Professional Registered Agent Service For My New Jersey Business?
- If your business is web-based or doesn’t have a physical presence within New Jersey, the business still needs a registered agent located inside state lines.
- Some New Jersey business owners hire registered agent services because their business doesn’t keep regular business hours in which service of process or official mail can be delivered.
- Privacy. Many business owners don’t want their home or business address listed on public record as a point of contact, so they hire a registered agent.
- Avoiding distractions. Listing an employee or family member as your registered agent could be a huge mistake, as that may be the last person you want knowing the intimate details of lawsuits your business might become entangled in. Worse, just having a process server hand them a document is proof that you got it, regardless of whether they actually get it to you in a timely manner. You could miss a court deadline before realizing it.
- If you don’t want the added responsibility of tracking mail and notices from the New Jersey Division of Revenue, you can hire a registered agent to track the important paperwork for you. Having an online account to help maintain your business is often worth the nominal registered agent fee.
What If I Never Get Sued? Does My Registered Agent Provide Any Additional Services?
First, if you never get sued, congratulations! But don’t think of fees paid for a registered agent service as wasted money. Your New Jersey registered agent should also keep you updated on any business reports owed to the state. And if you hire Northwest Registered Agent, we’ll provide you with any form you could file in New Jersey, along with helpful tips for filing forms and paying the state with no markup, as well as amazing customer service. If you end up with multiple states with us, you’ll be able to easily see your annual report dates in every state in your account.
What If I Get Sued All The Time? Does Northwest Registered Agent Charge Additional Fees?
Northwest Registered Agent doesn’t charge more for high volume clients. If you know you’re going to get served hundreds of times a year, we should create a custom price for you that makes sense to both parties. Our typical clients get fewer than 15 lawsuits a year and never pay additional fees.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In New Jersey?
We accept and scan all of our New Jersey clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Marlton, NJ.
Can I Use Your New Jersey Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your New Jersey Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In New Jersey?
Definitely sign up for our registered agent service before you get started. The New Jersey Division of Revenue will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list a registered agent. Plus when you sign up for service, you’ll find all the forms and filing instructions you may need in your online account.
How Do New Jersey Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your New Jersey registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A New Jersey Registered Agent?
You can do a New Jersey business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their New Jersey registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In New Jersey?
In New Jersey, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit a Certification of Resignation of Registered Agent (along with a separate affidavit) to the New Jersey Department of the Treasury. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in New Jersey.