New Jersey Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
New Jersey registered agents accept service of process and other legal notifications on behalf of New Jersey businesses. All corporations, LLCs and partnerships are legally required to have a registered agent in New Jersey. With Northwest as your New Jersey registered agent, we accept legal documents or official business mail on your behalf, contact you immediately and upload these documents to your secure online account for you to view.
With our registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, business address, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About New Jersey Registered Agents:
- Get New Jersey Registered Agent Service
- What Do New Jersey Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements for New Jersey Registered Agents
- How Do I Change My New Jersey Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- New Jersey Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do New Jersey Registered Agents Do?
Your New Jersey registered agent is responsible for accepting legal documents (services of process) and official mail on behalf of your business at a physical address (no P.O. boxes) in the state. This location is called a registered office.
In other words, your registered agent’s address acts as the official place where any service of process and official mail for your New Jersey LLC, New Jersey corporation or New Jersey nonprofit will be sent.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for New Jersey Registered Agents?
According to the New Jersey Corporations and Associations Act (14A:4-1. & 15A:4-1), whether your business is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation, the state of New Jersey requires the same from a registered agent:
- The NJ registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- NJ registered agents must maintain a registered office (a physical address in New Jersey).
- The registered agent must accept legal documents (service of process) during normal business hours.
- If an individual is appointed as NJ registered agent, he or she must be at least 18 years of age.
How Do I Change My New Jersey Registered Agent?
There are two ways to change your registered agent in New Jersey.
- Hire us and we’ll complete the change of agent form for you for free.
- Do it yourself and file a Certificate of Change – Registered Name or Address, or Both (for LLCs) or a Certificate of Change of Registered Office and/or Registered Agent (for corporations) form with the New Jersey Division of Revenue. There is no fee to file this form.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
New Jersey Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A New Jersey Registered Agent?
- State law requires all legitimate, registered businesses to appoint one.
- The secretary of state will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent.
- A registered agent requirement gives the public and the state a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In New Jersey?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in New Jersey. However, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, a New Jersey registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In New Jersey?
We accept and scan all of our New Jersey clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Marlton, NJ.
Can I Use Your New Jersey Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your New Jersey Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In New Jersey?
Definitely sign up for our registered agent service before you get started. The New Jersey Division of Revenue will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list a registered agent. Plus when you sign up for service, you’ll find all the forms and filing instructions you may need in your online account.
How Do New Jersey Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your New Jersey registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A New Jersey Registered Agent?
You can do a New Jersey business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their New Jersey registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In New Jersey?
In New Jersey, to resign as a registered agent, you need to submit a Certification of Resignation of Registered Agent (along with a separate affidavit) to the New Jersey Department of the Treasury. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in New Jersey.
How To Order New Jersey Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your New Jersey registered agent service once your business registration filing with the state is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of New Jersey registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for New Jersey registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with New Jersey corporate compliance.