Create a Free Account

Register a Foreign Corporation in Connecticut

To register a foreign corporation in Connecticut, you must file a Connecticut Application for Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation with the Connecticut Secretary of State, Commercial Recording Division. You can submit this document by mail or in person. The Application for Certificate of Authority costs $385 to file. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Application for Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in Connecticut. Or, sign up for our Connecticut Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the Connecticut Application for Certificate of Authority Foreign Stock Corporation. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in Connecticut. All for free.

When You Want More, Get More

Hire Northwest and let our experts register your Foreign Corporation in Connecticut. Includes 1 year of registered agent service.

$610 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 788 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in Connecticut

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in Connecticut?

$385 for normal processing (includes $285 license fee). $40 fee for non-profit non-stock corporation. Add $50 additional for expedited processing.

How long does it take for the state to process the Connecticut Certificate of Authority?

Connecticut prefers all applications to be filed online. However, the state does accept mail and in person filings as well. State filing times depend on how you choose to file.

  • Online: Connecticut typically processes online filings in about 3 business days.
  • Mail: Connecticut is currently processing mailed filings in around 3-4 weeks (add time for mailing).
  • In Person: In person filings are processed by the state in about 3-4 weeks.
  • Expedited: Connecticut gives you the option to add $50 for 24-hour filing time for all methods of filing.


How will I get verification of qualification back from Connecticut?

A certificate of verification will be sent by mail.

What forms do I file with Connecticut to qualify my out of State Corporation?

Application for Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation form and a current Certificate of Existence (also called a Certificate of Good Standing) is required. An expedited form is required if utilizing these services.

What do I need from my home state?

A Certificate of Existence.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

Within 90 days of filing.

Will I need an Connecticut registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which States you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the Connecticut registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Connecticut Certificate of Authority?

By mail or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

Connecticut Secretary of State
Commercial Recording Division
30 Trinity Street
PO Box 150470
Hartford, CT 06115-0470
Phone: (860)509-6002
Fax: (860)509-6069

Do the signatures on the Connecticut corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

An authorized official of the corporation must sign the application form.

Are there any weird things about registering in Connecticut?

  • You must provide a street address (no PO Box) for all officers and directors.
  • Foreign corporations holding a Certificate of Authority are required to pay an annual license fee.
  • County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Is there ongoing Connecticut annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

Connecticut annual reports are due in the anniversary month you initially filed in. You will want to be sure to file before the last day of that month.

You may also want to learn more about Connecticut taxes.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have a Connecticut registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Connecticut. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional resources:

Connecticut corporation
Withdraw foreign corporation from Connecticut
State by state foreign corporation registration

When You Want More