Connecticut Registered Agent
When you choose Northwest as your Connecticut Registered Agent, you get instant service, Privacy by Default®, a business address, and free mail forwarding. And if you want more, you can get a domain name, website, email, and phone number for free.
Want to learn more about what a registered agent does in Connecticut? We'll explain the Connecticut Secretary of State - Commercial Recording Division’s requirements, what your registered agent should do for you, and how to change your registered agent in Connecticut.
When You Want More
$125 a Year Every Year
Northwest is the choice of professionals for registered agent service.
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications
- Privacy by Default®
- Business Address & Free Mail Forwarding
- Free Domain, Website, Email & Business Phone
What Is A Connecticut Registered Agent?
A Connecticut registered agent is a person or company that you designate to receive legal mail (like service of process) on behalf of your business. Registered agents exist to provide an official and reliable way to contact your business.
If your business is ever served with a lawsuit, the process server will deliver the paperwork directly to your registered agent. At that point, your business is legally considered “served.” The registered agent should then forward you your mail, quickly and securely.
Per state statutes (Gen Stat § 33-660 and 34-243n of the Connecticut Code), registered agents are legally required in Connecticut. At a minimum, your registered agent must list a physical address on the public record and be present at that address during business hours. But ideally, your registered agent should do more.
Connecticut Registered Agent Legal Requirements
According to Title 33, Chapter 601 Section 33-660 of the Connecticut Code, the state of Connecticut requires the following from a registered agent:
- The Connecticut registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- Connecticut registered agents must maintain a physical street address in the state.
- If an individual is appointed, he or she must be at least 18 years of age.
How Do I Change My Connecticut Registered Agent?
Changing your registered agent is a straightforward process:
- You’ll file a Change of Agent form with the Connecticut Secretary of State.
- If you place an order with us, the form will be available instantly. We’ll even pay and file the change of agent filing for you.
- It’s a simple change, but for more info, see our guide on how to change your registered agent in Connecticut.
Why Northwest Is The Best Registered Agent In Connecticut
Our Connecticut Registered Agent Service includes the tools you need to keep your business running without a hitch. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, you get:
- Same-Day Scans: We scan your legal docs the same day we receive them and reach out if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We list our business address on public docs to keep your personal info safe. And unlike those other guys, we never sell your data.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide support for all your business questions.
And if you want more? Add free trials of any of these options at checkout:
- Domain Name: Choose a domain name from a list of popular extensions (like .com and .net).
- Website: We provide a pre-built business website, customizable using an open source platform.
- Business Email Address: Create up to 10 business email addresses of your choosing. They’ll end in your domain name for branding ease.
- Phone Number: Keep your personal line private by using a business phone number for client communications.
How to Order Connecticut Registered Agent Service?
You sign up online at the top right corner of this page.
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
We’ll become your Connecticut registered agent service after you make your business registration filing with the Connecticut secretary of state.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Connecticut registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
We make it easy to add registered agent services in other states.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Connecticut registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Connecticut corporate compliance.
Get a Registered Agent Today!Get Started
Connecticut Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Connecticut Registered Agent?
The state requires all Connecticut registered businesses to appoint a Connecticut registered agent. The Secretary of State – Commercial Recording Division will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent. Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the state and general public have a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Connecticut?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Connecticut. With that said, however, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Connecticut registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Connecticut?
We accept and scan all of our Connecticut clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Glastonbury, CT.
Will You Let Me Know When My Connecticut Annual Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Connecticut, you’ll need to complete your CT annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Connecticut Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Connecticut Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Connecticut?
You should hire us first and then form your Connecticut LLC or corporation because the Connecticut Secretary of State will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your Connecticut registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Connecticut Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Connecticut registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Connecticut Registered Agent?
You can do a Connecticut business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Connecticut registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How Do I Resign From Being A Registered Agent In Connecticut?
In Connecticut, to resign as a registered agent, you must submit two copies of the Statement of Resignation of Registered Agent and payment for processing by mail, fax or in-person to the Connecticut Secretary of the State’s Commercial Recording Division. For a more detailed walkthrough, you can refer to our guide on how to resign as a registered agent in Connecticut.