Connecticut Registered Agent
Do Business the Right Way
A Connecticut registered agent is an individual resident of Connecticut or a business registered in the state that acts as an official point of contact for its clients. The registered agent accepts service of process, legal correspondence and official state notices, and delivers them promptly to the client. Every registered agent in Connecticut is required to have a registered office (a physical street location) and keep normal business hours.
With our Connecticut registered agent service, get Privacy by Default®, free mail forwarding, free Phone Service for 60 days, and local Corporate Guides®—only at Northwest.
Everything You Need To Know About Connecticut Registered Agents:
- Get Connecticut Registered Agent Service
- What Do Connecticut Registered Agents Do?
- Legal Requirements for Connecticut Registered Agents
- How Do I Change My Connecticut Registered Agent?
- What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
- Connecticut Registered Agent FAQs
- How To Order Registered Agent Service
What Do Connecticut Registered Agents Do?
At a minimum, Connecticut registered agents:
- Accept documents on behalf of your business in Connecticut and get them to you.
- Maintain a physical address (no PO Boxes) in the state of where they accept legal documents (service of process) and official mail. This location is called a registered office.
- Keep normal business hours.
However, the right registered agent service can do much more. At Northwest, we go above and beyond the minimum to ensure top speed, security, privacy and support.
What Are the Legal Requirements for Connecticut Registered Agents?
According to Title 33 Chapter 601 Section 33-660 of the Connecticut Code, the state of Connecticut requires the following from a registered agent:
- The Connecticut registered agent must be a state resident or a company that provides registered agent services.
- Connecticut registered agents must maintain a physical street address in the state.
- If an individual is appointed, he or she must be at least 18 years of age.
How Do I Change My Connecticut Registered Agent?
- Sign up for our Connecticut registered agent service.
- File a Change of Agent form with the Connecticut Secretary of State.
- It’s a simple process, but for more info, see our Change Your Connecticut Registered Agent page.
What Makes Northwest Different From Other Services?
At Northwest, we do business the right way. We’re dedicated to getting you your docs fast, protecting your privacy and offering you support. Here’s how:
- Same-Day Scans, Instant Notifications: We accept and scan your docs at our local Glastonbury office the same day. We notify you instantly and reach out to you if your essential mail goes unread.
- Privacy by Default®: We automatically minimize the exposure of and access to your personal data. If we can put our address on a public doc instead of yours, we do. If we don’t have to list your personal info, we don’t. We have tough privacy policies to keep your data safe and private. And we never sell your data.
- Free Limited Mail Forwarding: Of course we’ll get you your state and legal mail. That’s our job. But what if we get some of your regular business mail? It happens a lot—clients and businesses trying to connect with you via your registered agent. We scan 5 documents per year for FREE. We can also scan additional mail at a per document rate of $15.
- Northwest Phone Service: We know your business needs don’t stop at formation. That’s why we now offer Northwest Phone Service, a feature-packed virtual phone line that allows you to call and text your customers from any device. Our in-house Phone Service is just $9 monthly, with the first 60 days included FREE of charge when you hire us as your registered agent.
- Free Credit Card Processing Consultation: Considering accepting credit and debit card payments? We can help you sort that out. When you hire us, you have the option to sign up for a complimentary in-house call with our card industry specialists who work with processors to negotiate low rates and better contracts on your behalf. Check out our Payment Processing Service page to learn more.
- Corporate Guides®: Have questions? We have answers. Our guides are business experts whose sole job is to provide phone and email support for all your toughest business questions.
Connecticut Registered Agent FAQs
Why Do I Need A Connecticut Registered Agent?
The state requires all Connecticut registered businesses to appoint a Connecticut registered agent. The Secretary of State – Commercial Recording Division will reject your business filing if you don’t appoint a registered agent. Basically, the registered agent requirement exists so the state and general public have a reliable way to contact your business.
Can I Be My Own Registered Agent In Connecticut?
Yes, you can be your own registered agent in Connecticut. With that said, however, after considering the registered agent requirements most business owners elect to hire a registered agent service instead. Why? Well although being your own registered agent will cost you $0, an Connecticut registered agent’s name and address becomes part of the public record. Additionally, the registered agent is required to be available to accept service of process during normal business hours 5 days a week.
Where Is Northwest’s Registered Office In Connecticut?
We accept and scan all of our Connecticut clients’ documents on-site at our registered office in Glastonbury, CT.
Will You Let Me Know When My Connecticut Annual Report Is Due?
Absolutely! If you own an LLC or corporation in Connecticut, you’ll need to complete your CT annual report. As part of our registered agent service, we’ll not only send you a reminder, but we’ll make sure you have access to all the forms and instructions you need to stay compliant.
Can I Use Your Connecticut Registered Office Address For Everything On My Business Filing?
Definitely! We’re the only national registered agent service that allows our clients to list our address for everything when you’re doing a filing to keep your private address off public records.
Can I Have My Business’s Mail Delivered To Your Connecticut Office?
We don’t want ALL of your business mail. It’s not what we do. And it wouldn’t serve you well. You wouldn’t have unique address or suite number. Any mail we receive on your behalf would come to to Northwest Registered Agent, care of you.
But we understand that businesses and clients sometimes reach out to you through your registered agent. Through us. That’s why we give you 5 FREE scans of regular business mail a year. You can request any additional documents to be forwarded at a per document rate of $15.
Do I Hire A Registered Agent Before Or After I Start My Business In Connecticut?
You should hire us first and then form your Connecticut LLC or corporation because the Connecticut Secretary of State will reject your business registration filing if you don’t list your Connecticut registered agent. You’ll find all the forms and instructions you need to complete your filing instantly after you place an order.
How Do Connecticut Registered Agents Get Served?
Service on your registered agent is legal proof that you were notified. Regardless of whether you actually receive the documents your Connecticut registered agent signs for, once they accept the documents, you’ve been notified. This is a serious responsibility that we do not take lightly. This is how it works:
- A process server, the county sheriff, or any third party will walk into our office and hand us the documents (service of process), which we sign for.
- The process server then gives an affidavit (a receipt of service) to the court as confirmation that they “served” us.
Note: If you’ve hired Northwest, you’ve received your documents long before the process server hands in their affidavit to the court—because we scanned them to your online account within minutes of having been served.
How Do I Search For A Connecticut Registered Agent?
You can do a Connecticut business name search.
- Type in the name of the company you’re searching for.
- In the results, you’ll find the registered agent’s name and registered office street address.
If you want to legally notify a business through their Connecticut registered agent service, just send a certified letter directly to the registered agent name and registered office address.
How To Order Connecticut Registered Agent Service:
You sign up online, clicking on one of the buttons or links that says “HIRE US.”
We collect the first year of the registered agent service fee up front.
For new businesses, we’ll become your Connecticut registered agent service once your business registration filing with the Connecticut Secretary of State is complete.
About a year later, we’ll send you an invoice for another year of Connecticut registered agent service. If you want to keep using us, great; if you don’t, you can easily cancel.
With offices in every state, we make it easy to add registered agent services anywhere in the country. We don’t farm out work (or your info) to other companies—wherever you are, WE are your registered agent.
We make your account a real go-to resource for you, not just for Connecticut registered agent service or paying a bill but for keeping up with Connecticut corporate compliance.