Processing. Please Wait.

Create a Free Account

Register a Foreign Nonprofit in Connecticut

To register a foreign nonprofit in the State of Connecticut, you must file an Application for Certificate of Authority with the Connecticut Secretary of State. You can submit this document by mail, by fax, or in person. The Application for Certificate of Authority costs $40 to file. Below, we cover the most frequently asked questions about how to file the Application for Certificate of Authority and register a foreign nonprofit in Connecticut. Or, you can simply sign up for our Connecticut Foreign Nonprofit service, and we’ll take care of your registration ourselves!

Free PDF Download

Download the Application for Certificate of Authority. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Nonprofit in Connecticut. All for free.

When You Want More, Get More

Hire Northwest and let an expert register your Foreign Nonprofit in Connecticut. Includes 1 year of registered agent service.

$265 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 607 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Nonprofit in Connecticut

How do I register my foreign nonprofit corporation in Connecticut?

Complete an Application for Certificate of Authority and file it with the Connecticut Secretary of State. Drop it off in person, fax it, or mail the form into the CT Secretary of State, Commercial Recording Division.

What type of information will I need to complete the Application for Certificate of Authority?

Basic information like corporation name, along with formation dates and similar material. You’ll also need the names and addresses of all officers and all directors. Upon completion, you’ll also need to send the Connecticut Secretary of State a Certificate of Good Standing from your home state dated within 90 days of filing your application in Connecticut.

What is the cost to register a foreign nonprofit corporation in Connecticut?

The filing fee is $40. You can pay with a check, money order, or if you fax in your application, you can call and use a credit card.

How long will it take Connecticut to process my certificate of authority?

You should receive your certificate of authority from Connecticut in approximately 10 business days after they receive your filing.

Do I need a Connecticut registered agent for my foreign nonprofit corporation?

Yes. When you hire Northwest as your registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states you’re registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account.

Does my registered agent have to sign my application for certificate of authority in Connecticut?

Yes, the Connecticut registered agent is required to sign the application.

What kind of annual requirements do foreign corporations in Connecticut need to meet?

Connecticut nonprofits, including foreign nonprofits, are required to complete annual reports and file them with the state. The filing fee is $50 and the reports are due on or before the last day of the nonprofit corporation’s anniversary month. The reports need be filed online at the Commercial Recording Division web site.

Are there any weird things about qualifying in Connecticut?

Connecticut is a straightforward state for foreign entities to do business and conduct affairs within. It is one of the few states where foreign nonprofit corporations can select the Secretary of State as their registered agent.

Are there any additional state registration requirements?

Contact the Department of Revenue Services to apply for Connecticut tax exemption.

If your nonprofit holds itself out as charitable and makes any requests for support, then you need to register as a Connecticut charity.

File your Application for Certificate of Authority with:

Commercial Recording Division
Connecticut Secretary of the State
P.O. BOX 150470
Hardford, CT 06115-0470
Telephone: 860-509-6003
Apply Online:

When You Want More