Create a Free Account

Register a Foreign Corporation in North Dakota

To register a foreign corporation in North Dakota, you must file a North Dakota Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation Application with the North Dakota Secretary of State. You can submit this document by mail, by fax, or in person. The Certificate of Authority for a foreign North Dakota corporation costs $145 to file. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in North Dakota. Or, sign up for our North Dakota Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the North Dakota Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation Application. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in North Dakota. All for free.

When You Want More, Get More

Hire Northwest and let the experts register your Foreign Corporation in North Dakota. Includes 1 year of registered agent service.

$370 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 788 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in North Dakota

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in North Dakota?

$145 for normal processing. $50 for non-profit.

How long does it take for the state to process the North Dakota certificate of authority?

North Dakota accepts filings by mail, in person, and fax. The speed at which your paperwork will be processed by the state depends on which method of filing you choose.

Mail/Fax: North Dakota takes about 30 days to process mailed or faxed filings. Be sure to include additional time for mail.
In Person: North Dakota can file in person applications while you wait. There is no additional charge.

How will I get verification of qualification back from North Dakota?

You will receive a verification certificate by mail.

What forms do I file with North Dakota to qualify my out of state corporation?

The Certificate of Authority Foreign Corporation Application form, a certificate of good standing or existence, and the filing fee is required.

The application form may need to be accompanied by a certification of professional license from the North Dakota licensing board for the profession verifying that the practitioners of the corporation have been licensed to provide the professional service, if your corporation is a foreign professional corporation.

A signed consent to use of name and the filing fee of $10 is required when your corporation is aware of a conflict with its name in North Dakota. A trade name registration and the filing fee of $25 is also required when your corporation assumes a name, other than its original corporation name, for use in North Dakota.

What do I need from my home state?

A certificate of good standing/existence is required.

Does it need to be an original copy?


How current does the certificate need to be?

It must be current within 90 days of filing.

Will I need an North Dakota registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states your registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service.

Does the North Dakota registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the North Dakota Certificate of Authority?

By mail, fax or in person.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

North Dakota Secretary of State
600 E Boulevard Ave Dept 108
Bismarck ND 58505-0500
Phone: (701)328-4284 or (701)328-2904
Fax: (701)328-2992

Do the signatures on the North Dakota corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

A person authorized by the corporation must sign the application and provide an email address and phone number so that the office may contact them with any questions or concerns.

If the documents are being submitted by someone other than the corporation, you will need to provide a cover letter with the name and telephone number of the responsible individual so that any deficiencies can be remedied by telephone.

Are there any weird things about registering in North Dakota?

County filing or publication is not necessary for foreign corporations, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing North Dakota annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

North Dakota annual reports are due for foreign profit and professional corporations in the year following that in which the Certificate of Authority is issued on May 15th. The annual report of a foreign non-profit corporation is due on February 1st. The annual report form will be mailed to the registered agent.

You will also want to learn about North Dakota taxes.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an North Dakota registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in North Dakota. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional resources:

North Dakota corporation
Withdraw foreign North Dakota corporation

When You Want More