Arrow Graphic

COVID-19 Update:

As an essential business, we’ve been blessed to stay busy. We’re open, fully operational, and committed to providing the highest level of customer service. Covid-19 sucks and we wish we could do more. While we can’t make face masks or work on medical breakthroughs, we can help you stay in business or start a new one. For any of our clients who are struggling, we want you to know we’ve never charged a late fee and if you can’t pay your bill—don’t worry—we’ll float you as long as possible. For new and prospective clients, we want you to know, we’re actually ramping up our staffing (17 new hires since March 1) and building for the future, whatever that means for all of us. Thanks for the opportunity to help serve you along the way.

Processing. Please Wait.

Northwest Registered Agent, LLC
Get Started
Get Started

Create a Free Account

Our free account and tools will help you get started and maintain your business. All for free. Enter your information below to create your free account.

  • Minimum 8 characters long
  • At least 1 capital and lowercase letter
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 special character

Free Download


Choose to view the in another tab or to download the PDF.

Register a Foreign Corporation in Minnesota

To register a foreign corporation in Minnesota, you must file a Minnesota Foreign Corporation Registration Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Minnesota with the Minnesota Secretary of State, Business Services. You can submit this document by mail, in person, or online. The Registration Certificate of Authority for a foreign Minnesota corporation costs $220 for online and expedited in-person filings and $200 if you file by mail. Below, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about how to file the Registration Certificate of Authority and register a foreign corporation in Minnesota. Or, sign up for our Minnesota Foreign Corporation service, and we’ll handle your filing instead!

Free PDF Download

Download the Minnesota Foreign Corporation Registration Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Minnesota. Fill out the form and submit it to the state.

Do It Yourself Online

Our free account and tools will walk you through registering your Foreign Corporation in Minnesota. All for free.

2 Day Minnesota Foreign Corporation

$445 Total
Rated 4.7 / 5 stars by 117 clients on Google

Free Guide to Registering a Foreign Corporation in Minnesota

What does it cost to register a foreign corporation in Minnesota?

$200 for mailed filings.
$220 for online and expedited in-person filings.

How long does it take for the state to process the Minnesota Certificate of Authority?

Online Processing: 2 business days.
Normal Processing: 2-4 business days, plus additional time for mailing.
Expedited In-Person Processing: while you wait.

How will I get verification of qualification back from Minnesota?

You will receive a verification certificate by mail.

What forms do I file with Minnesota to qualify my out of state corporation?

The Foreign Corporation Registration Certificate of Authority to Transact Business in Minnesota form and the filing fee is required.

What do I need from my home state?

Nothing. There are states that require a certificate of good standing from your home state to qualify as a foreign entity. Lucky for you, Minnesota is not one of them.

Will I need an Minnesota registered agent for my corporation?

Yes, when you hire Northwest as your registered agent, it’s a flat rate yearly price of $125 a year, you’ll have an online account that tracks your report due dates, which states your registered in, when your yearly service with us is up, and any documents we receive locally for you are uploaded into your account immediately for complete viewing. If or when you get served with a lawsuit, we can email up to 4 people and your attorney at the same time for real time complete viewing of a lawsuit. You’ll receive annual report reminders for your MN corporation. It’s the same price every year, and there are no weird fees or cancellation fees.

You’ll also see all the pre-populated forms and specific filing instructions on the thank you page, in your online account, and they are emailed to you immediately upon signing up for 1 year of registered agent service in Minnesota.

Does the Minnesota registered agent need to sign the filing?


How can I file the Minnesota Certificate of Authority?

By mail, in person or online.

What is the state agency that accepts the out of state registration?

Minnesota Secretary of State
Business Services
Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
St Paul, MN 55103
Phone: (651) 296-2803

Do the signatures on the Minnesota corporation application need to be original?


Who has to sign the foreign corporation filing?

The president, vice-president, secretary or assistant secretary must sign the form.

Are there any weird things about registering in Minnesota?

The Secretary of State recommends that you retain the original signed copy of this document for your records, and submit a legible photocopy for filing.

County filing or publication is not necessary, unless specifically required by the county in which your registered agent resides.

Are there ongoing Minnesota annual report and/or initial reporting requirements?

MN Annual reports are due December 31st.

What are your fees?

You’ll need to have an Minnesota registered agent. We charge $125 a year to act as your registered agent in Minnesota. It’s a flat rate, once a year fee, and includes more than other registered agents. Here’s a little more about our registered agent service.

We charge a $100 one-time filing service fee if you would like us to obtain the certificates needed from your home state, and register your company in any state you choose. We have offices in every state and can act as your registered agent and make your filings for you in any state. If you would like to register with multiple states at once, we can usually drop our filing service fee down.

Additional MN Corporation Resources:

Minnesota Taxes
Withdraw a Foreign Minnesota Corporation
State By State Foreign Corporation Requirements

Corporate Compliance
by Local Corporate Guides®